Ovarian Cancer Community
Solid Mass - High CA-125 Level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Solid Mass - High CA-125 Level

Hello everyone,

My name is Melissa. I am 31 (will be 32 on 9/26). On August 24th, my left lower side throbbed the entire day. I was not expecting my period to come until 9/1. But it came on 8/25. A few days into my period, I went to an outing for work. I ended up having to leave early because I was doubling over in pain. That attack ended, but even after my period, I kept cramping, didn't have much of an appetite, couldn't eat a full meal, low back pain, etc. So I made an appointment and got in the beginning of the following week.

The Dr. ordered an u/s. Went back the following week for those results. A 3 cm solid tumor on my left ovary. So he ordered the CA-125. I wasn't suppose to get those results until 9/28. Well the nurse called yesterday, wanted me to come on in. My CA-125 was 150.5. I have been referred to a gynecological oncologist. I have not received my appt. date yet.

Also, I am not sure if this is related to my condition, but this past Saturday, I was brushing my teeth, bent over the sink. I was done and raised up then a sharp shooting pain went through my back. I thought I had just thrown my back out. I do have a history of back problems so it wasn't nothing alarming. Now, here it is Wednesday, and my back is no better. I have not been able to put in a full day of work since Friday.

Everyone keeps telling me that it's probably benign. They know I am worried, but right now I am more worried if I have to quit my job (due to no insurance and being able to qualify for the charity care program). Right now, I just want my back to be well, so that I can sit in a chair, do my work and walk around without looking like I sat on a foreign object.

Has anyone here been through an experience similar to mine? I realize now that it is watch and wait. I am not sure what the G.O. will want to do once I go to see him.

Thanks for your time, and for getting through my rambling post. :)
Tags: mass, CA 125 levels, high, ca-125, high ca-125, solid, Back pain, ovary
This sounds like exactly what I have went through...I have been out of work related to the pain, which no one seems concerned about by the way...I went ahead & made my own gyn/onc apt for tomorrow morning. SCARED to death...everyone keeps telling mr the same, not to worry...so easy for everyone to say that wen it is not happening to them. At least it seems like your docs are following the right channels....I had to take charge myself!  If they do not get you a timely apt....make it yourself, you need to be in charge of you...Let me know how you make out, I will send prayers for us both :0)
Hi there,

Thanks for replying. When you say no one seems concerned, in my case it would be my boss. When I told her she needed to prepare herself for the possibility that I may need to leave, her response was, "Well, can you train someone?"

I spoke with the nurse this afternoon, who has been trying to get me in to see the G.O. She said that they requested all my scans and records, so she sent them those. The Dr. has to review them. She said she will be in touch with them again tomorrow morning. I hope he doesn't refuse to see me since I have no insurance. I don't think that's right at all.

Let me know what happens at the Dr. tomorrow. I will say a prayer for us both, too.