Ovarian Cancer Community
Solid Mass on Right Ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Solid Mass on Right Ovary

I am 32 and the Mother of 2 young children ages 3 & 2 and recently went for a yearly physical exam at my regular Dr. and they found a solid mass on my right ovary. They then sent me for a Transvaginal Ultrasound and all that did was tell them that the mass was 2cm (the size of a nickle) and that it was solid but that was all. My Dr. has now set me up for an MRI next week and had me make an appointment with my OBGYN. I was told that it could possibly be cancer and now my world has been turned upsidedown! I was up all night last night crying and so was my husband. I am young and healthy and cancer does not run in my family. Back in April I had a miscarriage and had plenty of ultrasounds done so wouldn't they have been able to see something then and if not, then how fast could a 2 cm mass grow? I wanted to know if there is anyone out there that has or is going through the same thing and if there is any advice they can give me to keep me sane. I can't imagine my children growing up without me, I need them more then they need me! What else could this mass be if not cancer? Desperate for answers and a miracle!!!!!
Melissa - New Jersey
I forgot to add to my post that I am in no pain whatsoever!
:(  I know how stressed out you are.  Many solid masses on the ovary can be totally benign.  Did they order a CA 125?  That's the first thing my OBGYN did for my solid mass.  He then rechecked after my next cycle to see if it resolved.  I think the MRI can provide more information, but if I'm not mistaken, then only true way to tell is to have it biopsied/removed via laparoscopy.  

Read some information on the ovarian cyst forum too.
You're young and it's far more likely to be benign than not.   You do need to have it thoroughly checked out, though.  

Even if it's ovarian cancer, there's plenty of reason to hope for a good outcome.  My tumor was 12 cm but everything else they removed was "clean."   My doctor is considered aggressive, so I did do chemo -- a nuisance but not the worst experience of my life.  .I finished chemo seven years ago and the doctor considers me cured.  I intend to hold him to it!  

If your doctors want to do surgery, please be sure you have a gyn oncologist do it.  They have extra training and more experience with gyn surgeries -- and they do lots of surgeries on women that do not have cancer, too.  (Better safe than sorry.)  

Try only to worry when you know what to worry about.  That's easier said than done, I know.  But your odds sound good, so don't freak out just yet.  

Good luck, and keep in touch.  
I know exactly what you are going through. I also have 2 young children, 2 and 5, and went to my family doctor for something totally unrelated and had an Xray done. A mass was found in my abdomen and then a CT was ordered and confirmed the mass on the right side of my abdomen. This happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was totally freaking out and that was the first thing that I thought, too. I saw a Gyn the next week and had the same ultrasound and found that it is an 8 cm cyst on my right ovary. Bloodwork was done to see if it could be cancerous and it has come back normal. My Gyn also seems to think it is a simple functional cyst, although there is an area of "concern", but seems to think it is benign. My surgery has been scheduled for the 30th of this month for an open procedure, laparotomy, to take the cyst out and possible ovary. I'm still concerned about cancer as it is not known entirely until the cyst is taken out.

The only way I got through the waiting part to know what the "mass" was and then the bloodwork was just spending time with my kids and keeping myself busy. I tried not to think/worry about it. I'm still trying not to worry because I tell myself that there is nothing I can do about it anyway. With yours being 2 cm, if it is a cyst, and you are having no symptoms, they most likely will just watch it and it could disappear on its own at your next menstrual cycle. I have read so much about cysts online--do some research and look up cysts and fibroids, could be either. Just hang in there and see your Gyn ASAP.

Hope that helps some.

Kim
If it  is only 2cm, then surgery should cure you completely, even if it is cancer, which I doubt.  You're very lucky that they found whatever it is so early, and I truly believe that you will be fine either way.  Try not to worry.  You're going to see your grandchildren grow up.
Thank you to all of you for your responses to my question! I got all teary eyed when I read them because you are all so kind to give advice to a complete stranger.  My MRI was supposed to be today but it had to be rescheduled for next week so I will have more days of worrying but all of your advice has made me feel better so Thank you so much for that! I pray that all of you have long, healthy and beautiful lives and I will keep you posted on what happens. I do have the Gyno appt. this monday so we'll see what they say. God Bless all of you and Thank you again so much for your kind advice!!
I had my Gyno appt. today and after my exam she told me that the mass could be a dermoid tumor which are usually benine and that I should come back in 3 months for another ultrasound to see if it has changed in size or gone away. She said that because it is so small and because it is not causing me any pain there is no need to do further testing right now. She said these things can go away on their own and she doesn't believe it to be anything serious but that they will keep on eye on it. She also told me that I don't need an MRI and that they wouldn't even do surgery on me to remove it right now because it is too small. So I am having a second opinion done by my old Gyno who I loved and who delivered both of my children, changes in insurance forced me to find a new Gyno. I will trust anything he has to say about this and will keep you posted. My appointment with him is Monday, Nov. 30, 2009 and until then we'll just see how things go.
Sounds like, instead of worrying about cancer, you should hop on over to the ovarian cyst forum.  The ladies there will have been in your current situation.  We'll still be here if you ever need us.  Good luck!