Ovarian Cancer Community
Solid vs. fluid filled ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Solid vs. fluid filled ovarian cyst

HAd my "talk" w/the Gyn, the other day.  Options given: wait two cycles and repeat US and CA 125 (mine was 44.5) see if there is any change, Lap. take out right ovary and send cyst to path, take out both ovaries,  or instant freeze and if any cancer have general surgeon assist and total Hyst.  She did say that the cyst was fluid filled vs. solid,I'm assuming because one of the options was to wait that it's not OVC, but...there is always a but..I've decided on a lap ASAP, take out the right ovary and wait for results.  If it's OVC then I want to consult a GYN/ONC. at the Mayo CLinic in JAcksonville.  She said it was not a dermoid or an endometrioma.  ANyone else know anything about fluid filled vs. solid??  BTW, your support and this website is wonderful.  THANK YOU!!!!
True cysts (fluid-filled with thin cystic walls, without solid areas) are not likely to be malignant in pre-menopausal women.  The statistic is somewhere around 1 to 3 percent, depending on additional data.  How long have you had the cyst? How large is the cyst? What are your other symptoms (how was the cyst discovered)?  I am sure that you have posted all of this before, but I do not recall that information now.

Solid tumors are more likely to be malignant, but even then there is a greater chance the material will be benign.  Basically, malignant tissues are not only solid but very dense, due to the nature of malignant growth.    It is this characteristic of cancer that allows some imaging equipment to show it.
Dr. said that the cyst is fluid filled with thin septations measuring 2.9 x 2.2 x 2.4 cm with no fluid in the cul de sac.  Surgery date is Feb. 20th.  So would she have given me a watchful wait alternative if she was that concerned.  Hey, I'm grasping for straws here, every time I think it's going to be OK, I read some more (so many IF's!) the roller coaster starts back up again!
...oh also, been pregnant three times, one was a mis. and have two beautiful young ladies 21 and 22 and really want to be a grandmother some day.
My med background:Just turned 50, have been "noticeably" peri-men for 5 years, nothing different than what we all ***** about...hot flashes, ab weight gain(about 8 pounds),IBS during PMS, periods closer together, then past 3 years further apart, GYn. had said I was riding high on estrogen last year, prometrium used when I went 45 days without one,I have felt great, running 4 miles, yoga, tennis...very active.Only reason I found out about my cyst was that I insisted on a CA 125 during my annual with my GP.  WHen the results came back 44.5 she gave me a look like no you did it (she had warned me how unreliable the test was, false positves), had the ultra sound in/out immediately and the results are stated in my note above and had moderate fluid in pelvisa and a uterine fibroid. I had no painwhat so ever until my ultra's, then the next 3 days I felt like my ovary was going to burst and really congested in the pelvic area.  Anyway, I started thinking (dangerous!!) that maybe I should give the gyn the go ahead to the quick freeze option just in case.  I just hope 'cuz it's thin sep'd and fluid filled that it's a good sign...pre-op on wednesday.
Thanks for your words, today the roller coaster is at the top of the hill and I'm feeling great.  The fibroid has never given me any concern in so much as I literally just found out I had one last week! (plus cysts in left breast from annual mamo, I figured I hit the trifecta!)All of my other friends complain
about the same complaints at this age I now wonder how many of
us are walking around with this "evil seed".  Maybe, along w/annual paps and mam's we should also push to have a  trans vag. Ultra too for screening!  The gyno. had recommended the prometrium because last year she did a hormone check because
my period was over 60 days late and I knew I wasn't pregnant
I was hoping for menopause, but said I needed this progesterone to balance out the high estrogen level.  She said if you have not gone through menopause and have too high a level of estrogen then cell change can result, she stressed the fact thatwe need to shed our lining regularly to keep the hormones in balance.  So the progesterone helps bring on my period...