Ovarian Cancer Community
Stage 3c Ovarian Treated only with Chemo?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stage 3c Ovarian Treated only with Chemo?

My mother was told she had stage 3c ovarian cancer in May 2007 after a biopsy was taken. She was offered surgery but was told the cancer had touched the colon and surgery would mean she would probably need a stoma. She was told to come in to review the biopsy results but then told if she wanted an operation she had to stay that evening for surgery the following morning. Option two was chemo first 6 full cycles of Taxol / Carbo to reduce size of tumour followed by surgery with less risk of having a stoma. She took option two and her CA125 fell to 14 from 277. The gyn oncologist is now thinking about leaving the surgery alone and just wait to see what happens?....Is this normal? I have read most get surgery then chemo or vice versa but have read nothing on stage 3c being treated with chemo alone. I would be very eager to hear from anyone with the same experience or advice on what to do next. This is my first posting and all comment are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

James
Related Discussions
6 Comments
Blank
238582_tn?1365214234
Has your mother has CT or PET scan after chemo to find out how much the tumer has srinked?  I would think it shoud still need the surgery to get the last bit of tumer out. I was dx3c last Nov. Debuck sugery followed by 6 cycles of IV/IP chemo  and now I'm on consolidation chemo.  Best wish!

jun
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Hi James....Well, we all seem to be different when it comes to managing this wretched disease, but I've never heard of a Stage 3 C not having the debulking surgery... be it before or after chemo... it seems to happen. To have a 'wait and see' approach is incredible, as this disease doesn't wait for anyone. I was dx in Feb'04 Stage 4, but unfortunately I didn't have an option of not having a stoma... it was either that, or have a measure up for a wooden box.Believe me, there are worse scenarios with this type of cancer, than a stoma.  Has your Mum had scans? They should tell her Doctors something, and they should be able to proceed with a plan from what they see on the scans. I hope that your Mum doesn't need an operation, but if she is Stage 3 C I can't see her being able to delay it for too long. A debulking operation, and then 6 rounds of the first line chemo seems to be the norm in the initial fight against his lousy cancer. I wish your Mum all the best, and I hope you will keep us informed as to how she is doing. Hugs to you both....Helen...Au.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
I had exploratory surgery in April of this year and was diagnosed with stage 4.  I then had 6 rounds of chemo. My original tumors were wrapped around my colon and then some.  In Sept I had total debulking surgery when my ca125 was 6.5.  They never had to use a stoma.  Not having surgery was never an alternative,  I hope she is seeing a gynecological oncologist,  Never have i heard of no surgery.  Best to you and your wife.  Ronni
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
sorry, best to your Mom...........
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
I would try to get into the Dr.'s forum and ask Dr. Goodman for her advice.  We are all at different stages and have different surgeons around the country and the world.  Dr. Goodman is practicing at the Mass General in Boston and can help you with your question.  I like the others had no option surgery and chemo, there have been others who have had chemo then surgery, and possibly another poster that may have responded and they were not considering surgery.  If there was another Gyn/Onc I would go for a second opinion.   Hope your mom's rash is better.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
My mother was diagnosed in August 2007 with Stage 3C.  She went in for the debulking surgery, but it was more than anticipated so they took out just a little.  Her dream is no surgery, but based on her GYN Onc., surgery is a guarantee.  It is just a matter of when.  She just finished her third treatment and is scheduled to meet with the GYN Onc. on tuesday for results of the latest scan.  Prior to surgery her CA-125 was over 300.  Currently she is at 41.  I would definately speak again with the doctor.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...
Mar 26 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
1344197_tn?1392822771
Blank
Vaginal vs. Laparoscopic Hysterecto...
Feb 19 by J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Top Ovarian Cancer Answerers
667078_tn?1316004535
Blank
HVAC
Durham, NC