Ovarian Cancer Community
Stage IV clear cell ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Stage IV clear cell ovarian cancer

I was diagnosed with stage IV clear cell ovarian cancer a year ago.  I had major surgery where all cancer that was visible was removed.........only the microscopic cancer remained.  I then had six treatments of carboplatin/taxol; six months of monthly maintenance doseage of taxol; two months of Doxil.  During that time my CA125 count dramatically reduced from 292 down to 9 during the carboplatin/taxol treatments.  During the first three months of maintenance chemo of taxol my CA125 count remained under 15.........and then began to rise.  It finally has peaked today at 141 after two treatements of Doxil.  We concluded that it wasn't working.  So today we began Gemcitabine.
I am having a PET scan tomorrow to see if any cancer is visable.  Do you feel I am doing the right thing to begin the Gemcitabine?  Are there alternate treatments I should be considering.  What are my survival chances with this cancer?  Thank you for any help you can give me.  plink3
Only you can make the decision on what is right for you. If your doc say's the chemo isn't working then by all means try something else. as for what your survival chances are. no one knows that. I've seen people given 3 months to live and have lived for years beyond and i've seen people given a great prognosis and die within a months time. One thing is for certain though, live your life to the fullest, live every day as if it were your last.
Yes if your Dr feels that one treatment is not working then it is not unusual for them to try something else. My Dr has told me that there are hundreds of drugs out there that we can try so not to worry, and I don't. He has done a good job of keeping it under control for 3 years now that I trust he knows what he is doing.
  None of us looks at our chances of survival. As you know there are women out there who were just given months and are still here years later. We all know that we have the same chance of being in that percentage that beats this things as is around for many years to come. If there is only 1 out of 10, you have as good a chance as any to be that 1. so never give up hope.
   Chris