Ovarian Cancer Community
Stem Cell therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Stem Cell therapy

Hello,  my mother was diagnosed with stage3c ovarian cancer in January ;07. She underwent chemotherapy with stem cell therapy as support (was all perfomed overseas where she lives)-  question
Is stem cell therapy as support during chemo done here in the United States in trials?  (Stem cell was donated autologously)....also, stem cell just for chemo support or will it help her remission last longer?  

She has been on remission since after her 6th chemo, per oncologist- her CA125 decreased very quickly and was normal after her second chemo. She has gained weight gradually and almost back to normal except for the chemo side effects lingering such as numbness and tingling in hands/feet/toes.  
Thank you.
I did a quick check on stem cell, it has been done here and probably still is for some patients.  It was a small trial at MD Anderson in 2001.  It did have good stats increased 5 yr survival to 55% for some, however it did not provide the ages of the women.  The trial was done on women with stage 3 and 4 in good health.  In the states I bet we would have fun getting it through our insurances, since it is not an approved treatment.  It did have a high mortality rate during the treatment, because it is very stressful on the body.  Glad you mother is doing so well.  
I met a lady at chemo that had a stem cell transplant for hodgkins I think. Anyhow I was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday with neutrapinia and anemia and guess what she was my nurse. She is all better now, and I am still laying in a hospital bed. Why can't everyone have a stem cell transplant? I do not know how it works, but it seems to work. She said she had whole body radiation + chemo to the point where she was nearly dead then they gave her the stem cells and slowly you come back to life. Its really cool
I had high dose chemo with autologous ( my own)stem cell transplant in 2005 at MD Anderson. I was part of a Phase II trial for women who had recurred. They started a phase III for newly diagnosed about the same time. The phase 3 went against the gold standard at the time of IV carbo & Taxol. I believe when the gold standard changed to IP Cisp & taxol it affected their trial. Also the doctor in charge, Dr  Michelle Donato left in fall 2005 so that also effected the trial. I recurred after a year - so it did not work for me. But I am doing well with different chemo's unlike some other women who I've kept in touch with, there seems to be a common problem of low platelet counts associated with the HDC/SCT. The low platelet counts has greatly effected the chemo these women can tolerate once they recurred. I think high dose chemo with stem cell recovery is falling out of favor due to it not being much more effective and also being very hard on the body and the pocketbook.