Ovarian Cancer Community
Still in Pain - Cyst grew back in 11 days! No end in sight....help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I had a laparotomy on 12/22/05 to remove a dermoid cyst on my (only) right ovary.  Another grew back in 11 days.  I'm still in pain from surgery and now I have the pressure of a new cyst.  I have a lot of heavy bleeding and pain, as I have had in the past for years.  It's pressing on my bladder and I'm miserable.  My doctor said they cannot perform the same surgery again, since my last surgery was so invasive. At this point, they can only attempt to drain it.  My only hope is that this cyst goes away, and that this mal-functioning ovary doesn't cause future issues.  I am 31, have not yet planned a family and have no hope of doing so, since my one and only ovary is useless.  My doctor is trying to save this ovary, but all it's good for...is cysts.  Does anybody have an idea about how I"m going to get through this?  At every turn, I am knocked down again.  My only saving grace is that that cyst they removed was benign.....
I too am sorry that you have to go through this.  I am also 31 and only have one ovary.  I had my uterus removed when I was 25 and my left ovary removed last year.  Now I have a 9cm complex septated cyst on my right ovary (I too have reaccuring cysty).  I went to the dr today, and she thinks I will need to have cyst and ovary removed.  I understand what you are going through, and I know how upsetting this is.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Please let us know what you find out.  Kasie
I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.  But know that you are not alone.  I am 35 and also have had no children. Not for the lack of trying.  I had my third surgery on March 7th and by the end of March a new alien(cyst) had moved in.  Very frustrating.  Seems I take 2 steps forward and 5 steps backward. Tired of pain, and medications.  But do try to keep your head up high.  I know I dont know whether to laugh or cry.
Terri
As you can see most of the women, myself included, have recurring cysts after surgery.  Mine took about 6 weeks post surgery to rear it's ugly head.  I hope that your dr. has given you plenty of pain meds as pain should not be an option.  I understand about his not wanting to do surgery so soon, that is why my dr. is waiting also.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I know exactly how you feel. I've had problems with cysts and endometriosis since I was 19. When I was 20 they did a laporoscopy and just 2 weeks ago (I'm 23 now) they removed my right ovary. They found that I had two small cysts growing on the left ovary only a week after surgery. I too, haven't thought of a family yet, but feel the pressure to hurry up and try to have them before these cysts ruin all chances. We have to be strong to face all these medical issues and continue to lead fun and active lives. It's not easy, but we can do it!
From a young woman trying to cope,
Mesra