Ovarian Cancer Community
Surgery - Advice on Keeping Calm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Surgery - Advice on Keeping Calm?

I am having a laparotomy on Wednesday, Oct. 9th to remove a large complex mass as well as the ovary and tube it is attached to. I also have a large amount of fluid in my pelvis and a CA-124 of over 600. While all of these things are frightening (especially at 30 years old!), for the most part I have been calm through all of this and repeatedly reassured that we'll know nothing for certain until the surgery takes place. I feel extremely lucky that I have such a great doctor. She sent me for an ultrasound immediately when I was complaining of gastrointestinal problems, and when the mass was found she quickly referred me to a gyne-oncologist. I have read so many awful stories from women who weren't taken seriously or weren't referred to the correct doctors. I think this has helped me stay calm and feel less frightened. To be honest, for the past couple months while I have been dealing with this I feel like my friends and family are all having a more difficult time than me!

However, now that my surgery is approaching I am starting to feel nervous and apprehensive. I am having increasing difficulty sleeping, which is not great as I'm exhausted all the time as it is. Does anyone have any tips or advice for keeping calm in the days leading up to this surgery? I am worried both for the surgery itself and for the bad news that may be coming afterward. I feel increasingly anxious and unable to concentrate. I am also not looking forward to the recovery period as I am having quite a large incision due to the size and placement of the mass.
1 Comment
It is hard not to be nervous. As far as the recovery. For me it was not as bad as I feared. I try to put my trust in the doctor. My Oncologist was a jerk so if you have one you like that's great. Nothing usually is as bad as I fear it to be. Gas pain after surgery was my worst pain. I used very little pain medicine. They will give you pain medicine when you want it. I had the incision down the middle. I had a full hysterectomy, both ovaries, omentum, and rectal resection. I was in the hospital six days. I was up and walking the next day.

Alex