Ovarian Cancer Community
Surgery tonight 6pm Pacific time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Surgery tonight 6pm Pacific time

To remove a mass on my left ovary - and if there is cancer to take out whatever else should go (gyn oncologist is doing the surgery).

If you get the chance I'd love if you could send prayers/thoughts around 5:45pm pacific time tonight - there's a very good chance that it's benign, but regardless I haven't ever had surgery and am a touch apprehensive!  

I won't be able to log on from the hospital (1-4 days depending what they find) but I have to say I'm already so impressed with this community.  Thank you for being here and wonderful as I learn more about all this.  :-)

Melissa
Prayers and best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

Please update us when you're home and feel up to posting.
Jane
Melissa,
Will definitely say some prayers for you today/tonight and always. When you can get back on, please let us know the outcome and how you are doing. Hugs, Colleen
Dear Melissa:  It is a tough day for you, stay strong, I used to wish they could give me my knock out drugs before I got to the hospital. I will be praying extra for you today for your surgery and a speedy recovery.  Please let us know how you are doing, big hug, Angie
Hi Melissa - I'm on the same coast so we're in the same time zone. My prayers and thoughts won't have to fly far to reach you. Wishing only good news for you and a speedy recovery.

irene
Hi Melissa,

I'll be thinking and praying for you around 6! Please keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. If you have any questions with recovery, I just had a laparotomy in August I would love to help.

MElissa - we will be thinking about you.  wishing you an easy surgery and speedy recovery.   We will be waiting your updated post.

Pam
Very glad you've got a good gyn-onc - everyone here stresses how important that is.

Good thoughts coming your way.. I'll courier them so you get them faster :)
Hi Melissa,

I am praying for you and anxious to hear about your surgery.  I hope all went well and you had a benign outcome.

Shelly
Hope all went well.
All went well.   :-)  

Sorry to have taken so long to post - family was visiting to help out and took what energy I had.  The surgery was Laproscopic - they removed the tumor and parts of each ovary for biopsy and I am cancer-free (and now mass-free as well).  

The Vicodin made me (really sleepy and) really constipated for a bit, and I also ended up with infections (klebsiella and enterococcus) but I finished the antibiotics today so theoretically the infections are gone and the constipation got better when I stopped taking so much Vicodin and started with some prunes and "Smooth Move" tea.  

I still have all my organs!  It was scary to sign them all away, but they left them all in.  I have a small fibroid still on my uterus which they will be watching, but they would have had to open me all the way up to remove it and it's not causing any symptoms so (as per my wishes) they left it.  

This whole thing has made me so appreciative.  I actually think I'm going to try to volunteer with a hospital when this is over with - or with ongoing cancer care patients.  I'm so lucky that I have family that is willing and able to be so supportive and I know not everybody has that.  Everyone deserves love and care when they face this sort of issue - I am thrilled that this forum exists and is so supportive, and I thank you for your thoughts/prayers and inspiration.  
Glad to hear the good news about your surgery. Sorry to hear it took so long to recover. I avoided the pain med (oxycontin) after my surgery. Took one pill and it made me so loopy I decided to live with the belly tenderness than go bouncing off the hallway walls.

Funny how family tries to help but they tend to wear you out instead. You should have gone to the coast to hide out and rest (that's where we're at now) Oh well. You may still have some tender spots for awhile but they come and go. Doesn't mean anything is wrong in there.

It's good to give back whenever you can. I have/had 2 friends with OvCa. One is not longer with us and one is still fighting it and it's been 8 years. She's an amazing woman. I'm not sure I could have dealt with it with as much humor and grace as she has.

Enjoy your health and thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

irene
Hooray!  I posted under your other post but I am so happy to hear the good news that it was benign! :)

Shelly
That is wonderful news!  And yes, having family at your house seems to automatically put us in hostess mode.  I just had my husband but I think my preference would have been to go to Mom & Dad's and be truly taken care of.