Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Symptoms of ovarian cancer but ultrasound showed nothing

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I am a 37-year-old mother of two with no family history of ovarian or breast cancer.  For the last two years I have been having problems with frequent urination.  I have also always had very painful periods.  I was on a birth control pill and switched to another pill when the frequent urination started.  Both pills made my hair fall out and caused a lot of problems so I stopped taking a pill about a year ago.  The frequent urination continued and also cramp-like pain throughout my cycle.  When my stomach started bloating really bad and my period was late, I went to a doctor (my doctor was out of town).  I was examined and the doctor said my right ovary felt bigger than my left and sent me for an ultrasound to check for fibroids or cysts.  I thought I would finally have an explanation for why I always felt pregnant even though I am not.  The ultrasound, however, showed that my left ovary was bigger than my right but nothing was wrong.  It also showed that my bladder was not fully emptying.  I was told to get another ultrasound, this time of my bladder and abdomen.  They found nothing wrong with my bladder but found three large polyps in my gallbladder.  I had severe gallbladder pain when I was pregnant and now it flares up every now and then.  I was referred to a surgeon.  The surgeon told me there is nothing they can do.  I asked if my gallbladder would cause all my other symptoms, they said no.  Now I have an appointment in two weeks to see a urologist.  I really don't think that's my problem but what else can I do.  Nobody seems to think that constant pelvic pressure, severe bloating (like I am 5 months pregnant), cramps throughout my cycle, irregular periods, nausea sometimes, fullness, and fatigue are anything to be worried about.  What can I do when an ultrasound doesn't show anything wrong and now the doctors say there is nothing they can do?
Hi There,
it sounds like you are having alot of distress. It is reassuring that two ultrasounds do not show any abnormalities.
A urology consultation is a good idea. There is a condition called interstitial cystitis that can give many of the symptoms you describe.

with normal imaging, the other thing to consider is bowel distress. There are several food allergies that can cause the abdominla bloating that you descibe (but not the bladder):
lactiose intoleance
gluten allergy

you could keep a food diary and methodically remove food gorups and see if you feel better

finally more invasive testing includes a CT scan and even a laparoscopy for evaluation - usually that woiuld be considered if the ultrasound were abnormal
best wishes