Ovarian Cancer Community
THE DANGERS OF THE REMOVAL OF THE OVARIES AND FALOPIAN TUBES DURING A ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

THE DANGERS OF THE REMOVAL OF THE OVARIES AND FALOPIAN TUBES DURING A HYSTERECTOMY

WHAT DANGERS DOES MY WIFE RISK DURING THE REMOVAL OF THE UTERIS AND IS THE REMOVAL OF THE OVARIES AND FALOPIAN TUBES REALLY NEEDED IF THERE IS NO CANCER VISIABL. WHAT ARE SOME QUESTIONS TO BE ASKED OF A GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGIST THE HAS NO REAL RESUME AT HAND AND ONLY A REFERAL FROM A DOCTOR I HAVE NO FAITH IN OR RESPECT? PLEASE ADVISE ON THIS IT IS VERY IMPORTANT AND MY WIFE FEELS THIS TO BE DONE AT THE DROP OF A HAT WITH NO QUESTION ASKED OF THIS DOCTOR.

This discussion is related to bilateral hydrosalpinges or ovarian cysts.
Seems like there might be more to explore here than just the questions you ask.  First, has your wife been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, or any other kind of gynecological cancer?  I'm guessing there is a reason a hyst has been suggested since you are posting on an Ovarian Cancer Forum.  What kind of doctor is she seeing that referred her to a GYN/ONC?  I guess I'm curious about you saying your wife feels this is something to be done at the drop of a hat. About 99% of us here had no choice in the matter, so this might not be the best place to ask such questions.  However if she has been diagnosed with cancer or is in tremendous pain, it wouldn't be a question of her doing this at the drop of a hat. Just because there may not be any visible cancer does not mean it isn't there.  What tests have been done to this point?  What is her age?  You say you have no faith in this doctor, but how does SHE feel?

Please give us a little more background on her situation, and if cancer is in the picture, why not encourage her to post here, too.  

Sending my best wishes to your wife.

Gail    
I agree with Gail's answer to your post, in addition I'm wondering why you're concerned about her ovaries and fallopian tubes being removed?

When the GYN/ONC surgeon has her abdomen opened, he'll check all her organs for sign of cancer and send biopsies of any suspicious findings to the path lab for examination. He'll get a preliminary report while she's in the operating room and know how to proceed.The complete report comes later when the tests are concluded.

Has she had a transvaginal ultrasound and a Ca125 blood test, yet?

I can understand that this is a frightening time for both of you, but it sounds like some need for action is indicated by her doctor. Perhaps she'd like to get a second opinion. If she does, have her take all her test results with her.

I also agree with Gail's suggestion that your wife post here, maybe we can give her support and some answers.

Jane
If you have no faith in your doctor I would highly suggest getting a second opinion with another gynecological oncologist.  Please do it as soon as possible so you can have some peace of mind that you are being advised of the right course of treatment.