Ovarian Cancer Community
THREE (OR TWO) DAYS TO GO

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

THREE (OR TWO) DAYS TO GO

HELLO, ALL YOU WONDERFUL LADIES,
    Well it's me, again. Still here jusr waiting for my surgery on Thursday. Just got back from work and am "dog-tired". Gonna take a 'lil nap before dinner (YAE!!!!). Really just wanted to remind you all that I'm thinking of you and I can feel your thoughts and prayers for me. Still scared and nervous, but it has been amazing how wonderful just talking ti ya all has been and how much it has helped!!!!! How about some good news?! I just had a call from my best friend.....Her first grand baby is on the way even as I sit here. Isn't life grand???? Peace to all!!!!!
                                                       Hugs,
                                                          Shari
It's good to hear from you. Sounds like you're staying busy, thinking about all the good things that surround you. Excellent. It's now 4 days from my surgery and I'm almost back to normal. I did a load of laundry, went grocery shopping, visited my folks and showed off my belly bruise  :-) , went to the library and ate lunch out (had a fat spicy black bean burger). It feels good to be home again but mostly I'm happy the surgery is out of the way.

Of course our thoughts are with you. If I remember correctly, you'll be saying bye-bye to your uterus too? Well, don't expect to be doing laundry in 4 days. Yeah, I bet you're disappointed with that one. Just get some good books ready and some soup. Don't try solids the first day. I did and got a cramp in the back of my throat, very weird and uncomfortable. Probably from the tube they used. Eat comfort foods. Hugs to you.
You will do fine.  I had surgery this past september.. they removed my ovaries, cervix, uterus, tubes omentum and apendix... I came through well, it beat the chemo I had..The surgery is really a snap and keep a good attitude and walk.. even if you don't feel like it walk...
Unfortunately for me with stage Iv ovarian cancer its already back but I am fighting it with all I have... I will not give up... I hope everything works well for you.. Ronni
I agree with Ronni. Surgery was a snap. I had so many things yanked out of me I lost count.They took things out of me I didn't even know I had. I'd never heard of an omentum until my ovca experience began.Thanks to an excellent surgical team I felt better afterwards than I has felt if years! I hope all goes well with you, too. Marie
excuse the 2 typos in my above message. oops Marie
Hi, Girls,
    Yep, the uterus is going, too, Ireneo. I'm not gonna be using it anyway, so no big deal! Thanks, to all, for relieving my fear about the actual surgery. It's not sounding too bad, now. By the way, what is an omentum? If it's gonna go....I wanna know what it is. Well, off to have a 'lil dinner.
                              Hugs all around (you guys are GREAT!),
                                         Shari
Just wanted to let you know that I will be sending positive energy to you tomorrow. Remeber to take deep slow breaths in and out. Check in with us when you get home.  
Hmmm, according to my medical dictionary the omentum is a sling like fold of peritoneum, functions are protection, repair and fat storage. Well shoot, anything that gathers fat should go in my opinion. My fanny has enough fat storage to keep me going for a year.
Yeah, I'm definitely not finding the omentum all that useful :) ....

Hi Shari --
Thought I'd write and let you know I'll say a special prayer for you tonight that everything goes well and you get home quickly!
Sending much love n' hugs --
-- and lots of healing sunshine energy your way!!
~Fran~
Bye-bye, omentum. I'll be thinking of you on your surgery day tomorrow. Marie
Hi Ladies,
    Well, I'm on my home stretch of waiting....I'm ready. The only problem that I've had this evening  is I threw up the citrate of magnisium (YUCK!!!!). They told me to just take extra dulcolax....Nothing's happening,yet, though...Beginning to worry.
    I couldn't believe all my friends who stopped by my work to give me a hug today. I feel very lucky to have each and every one! It makes me happy to be a woman , and a little proud, too. I count myself lucky to have all of you, too.  Thanks for all the well-wishes for tomorrow. I plan at least to be able to walk a 'lil by this time timorrow night. I'll post when I get home. Hugs for Everyone, Shari
I hope I catch you before you leave...if you did not have a chance to read the latest post by PinkTissue, she posted some very helpful tips for those going for surgery...Here is what she suggest...hope it helps
e.g. I learnt this from my mum's hospital stay which could mentally prep a person going to have a surgery soon and contribute to s stickie named HOSPITAL STAY:

Bring along a few panties during the hospital stay - disposable underwear is uncomfortable and you need a few panties because accidents can happen and would happen.

1. Get yourself mentally prepared as there is a strong likelihood that you would be placed at a maternity ward next to mothers who are giving birth to babies. My mum got a shock but she was philosophical. The young lady next to my mother's bed wasn't prepared and got teary whenever she hears the cry of a baby.

Ask the nurse if possible, ensure that the patients in your ward are patients having women problem and not giving birth to babies. New mothers typically attract the most number of visitors and flower baskets and may not be conducive to your sleep.

2.Tell the nurses you are afraid of needles even you are not. Ask them nicely to identify the best 'poker' to put you on a drip. It is no joke if you have someone heavy handed to put you on drip.

3.Morphine do funny things to you. You hear voices and see people floating around. I kept reminding my mother she is on morphine the first few days that it is normal side-effects of morphine to keep her grounded. And if you are the caregiver, don't get overly alarmed when the patient starts talking to thin air (my sister had a shock!)

4.Ask for sleeping pills - at least for the 1st few days. You are NOT going to sleep on the 1st day because the nurses would check on you every half an hour.