Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen while on a chemo break

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Tamoxifen while on a chemo break
My mother's oncologist decided to discontinue her chemotherapy of doxil and carboplatin due to low platelets and WBC counts. In the mean time, the oncologist has prescribed Tamoxifen

(DX: Stage IIIC in November 2005, suboptimal debulking surgery followed by six rounds of Carbo-Taxol, followed by an interval debulking and six more rounds Carbo Taxol. She experienced a recurrence in November 2006, had a third debulking surgery followed by eight infusions of Doxil-Carboplatin and has been receiving regular infusions of platlets and shots of neupogen. Her CA-125 has remained in the normal range since her fourth treatment with Doxil-Carbo, and a CT-Scan after the sixth treatment showed some specks in the abdomen. While mom fatigues more quickly than before, she generally has a good appetite and regularly engages in light exercise )    

How would you weight the risks and/or potential benefits of temporarily discontinuing chemo and taking Tamoxifen versus continuing with all of the blood infusions and chemo?  
Hi There, I think I answered this. I agree with the suggestion for tamoxifen
best wishes
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker