Ovarian Cancer Community
Teratoma with grade 1 , Stage 1a

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Teratoma with grade 1 , Stage 1a

My sister was diagnosed with teratoma and she had surgery done few days back with left ovary removed. Pathology report shows immature teratoma grade 1, stage 1a. Ascitic report states “no viable malignant cells seen”. AFP and HCG report are normal. CA-125 is 34.These test were done prior to Surgery.  Should chemotherapy be used for treatment..?? Gynocologist has advised that chemotherapy is essential and in future uterus and another ovary will also have to be also removed. Please advice.
I was Stage 1a and did not have chemo.  Is your sister seeing a gynecologic oncologist?   If not, it is ESSENTIAL that she sees one before proceeding with treatment.  If she is seeing one, then ask him the reasons for proceeding with that treatment.  It would also be worth seeking a second opinion from a major cancer center or university hospital.  It seems like I have read that most do NOT have chemo for that type and stage of tumor.   Here is a link to find a gyn/onc in your area:

http://www.wcn.org/findadoctor/

Best wishes!
I also was staged 1 grade 1a, and did not receive chemo.  I agree with hopeshell your sister needs to get claification from doctor and hopefully she is seeing gyn/onc.  Take care and let us know how your sister is getting along.  Hugs, Dawnlyn
yes you were right. MY sister din't receive any chemo and has been only advised regular follow up. Her CT Scan,HCG and AFP were in normal range. Still confused...what are the chance that this might come back or chances of this turning malignant..??
Any cancer can recur.  But, Stage 1a is the best you can get.  Some doctors treat with chemo for Stage 1a and others don't.  Chemo works best on higher grade tumors that grow quickly.  It is often not as effective on slower growing tumors.  Stage 1a means her tumor was contained and did not spread.  Surgery is usually the cure.   The concern is that her staging is correct.  You want to be sure she had proper staging before skipping chemo.  It would be worth seeing a gyn/onc if she already hasn't done so.  They can review her pathology and be sure nothing was missed.  If something wasn't sampled and she has a possibility of being a later stage, then chemo would be important!  

Here is a link that sums it up well:

http://ovariancancer.about.com/od/ovariancancerbasics/a/immatureterato.htm

It states that for Stage 1a, Grade 1, surgery and no chemo.  For Grades 2 or above, chemo is needed.  The prognosis is much worse for Grade 2 and above.  Your sister's staging has a 5 year survival of 90-95%.  But, Grade 2 has a 5 year survival stat of 50%, and Grade 3 has a 5 year survival of 25% or less.   It is important to remember that stats may be based on older studies and each year new advances are made and stats get better.  Also, any patient can be the one to beat the stats and gain a long survival or cure.  Odds are very good for you sister's stage.  I hope she is able to find a gyn/onc to be sure all the staging was correct.