Ovarian Cancer Community
Terrified

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Terrified

I have been suffering with heartburn (that came out of the blue) for 6 months now.  In the last 10 days I've experienced extreme nausea on and off.  Today I was finally able to get some tests  (been trying for months) and the ultrasound shows a large 8 cm cyst on my right ovary.  Dr. said it looks slightly abnormal.  I am absolutely terrified!! I can only find bad news related to heartburn and cyst connections.  Has anyone had constant heartburn with a benign cyst?
Most cyst are benign.  With the size, I assume they are suggesting surgery?  Have you had a CA125 test?  We always suggest to have a gyn/oncologist review your case, and if surgery is done, that this type of doctor perform this.  Best wishes to you.  
I agree with Jane. Once a cyst reaches about 6cms it can cause issues, like twisting, pain, etc.....MOST, over 95 percent of ovarian cysts/masses etc are benign.  Size does not matter.  

The important thing is that you are seen by a GYN/Oncologist.  They are the experts. If it is ovarian cancer, this is the type of doctor that you want on your side.  They have additional years of training, they are the experts.  And just being referred to a GYN/Oncologist does not mean cancer either, they treat many benign conditions.

The thing is not to be afriad, but, to get to the bottom of what is going on.  Then you know what you are dealing with, which, hopefully is just a pesky cyst.
Thank you for your replies.  I am still waiting for the results of the CA125, but I also have endometriosis and I know that in itself can raise a CA125. My biggest fears are the nausea and the fact that I can't eat anything. I'm also having a problem with food going through me undigested.

During my ultrasound the Dr said they also saw a cyst on my kidney and two polyps on my gallbladder but he didn't seem to concerned about these at all. His concern was the one on my ovary. I see a Specialist in two weeks, he is a  Gyno specialist but not a Gyno/oncologist. I will see him and ask for a referral I guess?