Ovarian Cancer Community
Thick uterine wall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Thick uterine wall

I recently went to the doctor for abnormal bleeding, discharge, pain after intercourse, and irregular periods. I have a vaginal ultrasound showing sists on one of my ovaries and an area of my uterus was irregularly thick. My doctor did some bloodwork and now I am just waiting for the labs to get back. He didn't say much about what it could be which scares me a little because my doc is very open and forthcoming. I am 23, have two babies under 2yrs old, and had a tubal ligation last July. I've been experiencing the above symptoms for about 3 months or so. Could it be cancer? Endometriosis? Worse? I have a family history of cervical cancer, tumors on the uterus, and endometriosis. If someone could shed some light on the subject, I sure would appreciate it.
It is hard to know what is could be...there are many benign possibilities....let's hope and pray it won't be a type of cancer.  With ovarian cancer you present with a mass on one or both of your ovaries defined as complex or solid.   Follow up with your gyn is very important and if they are complex you need to see a gynecologic oncologist before your surgery.  He/she should either do the surgery or be there to assist if the complex mass is found to malignant.  Here is a link to point you in the direction of a gyn/onc should that be the finding on your ultrasound:

http://www.wcn.org/interior.cfm?diseaseid=13&featureid=4

Try not to worry (although I know this is hard) because most cysts are benign.   Best wishes to you for a benign outcome.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.
I know how the anxiety can mess you up, The measuremnets of the cysts are the important thing, if 4 cm or smaller, they might just go away.  You will have to follow that up with a repeat scan. measuring for growth, the thickened area of the uterus could mean many things, endo, fibroids or just a the uterus getting ready to slough off.  I would suggest a pap  if he didn't do one,  did he do a vaginal exam?  OVCA is a rare disease, and cysts are 98% benign.  sometimes they use Birth control pills to regulate??  tubal ligations are one of the things that can prevent ovarian cancer.  so with your history I think I would concentrate on finding out mainly what is causing the uterine abnormal symptoms.