Ovarian Cancer Community
Thickened endometrial stripe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Thickened endometrial stripe

I recently had a pelvic ultrasound due to right lower pelvic pain which is now going on for 2 1/2 months.  I have alot of cramping, backache and pain from pelvic area to right side.  The ultrasound indicated thickened endometrial stripe (for patient's age - 42).  Also have left ovarian follicular cyst less than 1.6 cm.  Along with anterior myometrial fibroid 3.5 x 3.3 cm.  I am assuming the pain is related to the fibroid.  Should there be any kind of testing done due to the thickened endometrial stripe?  And should there be any concern regarding the thickening?  Also is a 3.5 cm fibroid considered large?  
Thank you/
1 Comment
Hi, My name is Betty, I am 27 years old and do not want to have surgery again.  I had a pelvic ultrasound due to pelvic pain, cramping and back ache. Last year I had an IUD removed because they believed it caused me to have a PID, which then my Dr. told me caused scar tissue in my uterus and I had surgery to have it removed. Two weeks ago I went to my Dr. because my back and pelvic area pain was intolerable. Once again he said I had inflamation (inflammation) in my cervix. I had a pelvic ultrasound done on the 9/19 and these were my results:

Transabdominal and transvaginal images of the pelvis performed. Uterus is normal measuring 10x4x6 cm. Endometrial stripe is midly thickened at 12mm, however, this is homogeneous in appearance. No discrete mass is identified. In addition, this slightly thickened portion is seen at the fundus of the uterus. Nabothian cysts are seen along the cervix. The ovaries are normal. The right ovary measures 3.1x1.3x3.0 cm. Left ovary measures 3.4x1.7x2.2 cm.\

Impression:
1. Nabothian cysts along cervix.
2. Normal ovaries without tubo-ovarian abscess.
3. Midly prominent endometrial stripe. Fundus of uterus appears physiologic in nature.

My questions are:
1. Endometrial stripe midly thickened at 12mm. What does this mean?
2. What is normal for an endometrial stripe to be?
3. Do I need to be worried about it being 12mm?
4. What does thickened portion is seen at the fundus of the uterus?
5. What is fundus of the uterus?
6. What is a Nabothian Cyst?
7. What do they mean by, "Nabothian cysts are seen along the cervix?"
8. How many, if any am I supposed to have?
9. Do I need to have these removed?
10.What is causing me to have pain?

I am scared to have surgery again, especially in the same area for almost the same thing. Having surgery again within a year just doesn't seem normal.