Ovarian Cancer Community
To Freshair- symptoms for brain mets?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

To Freshair- symptoms for brain mets?

Helen- what exactly were your symptoms for mets to the brain?  You indicated you had symptoms long before being diagnosed with OC.  I have mild headaches recently usually in the morning when I first wake up (think I might be needing new pillows) and intermittant aches in my back (lower spine).  I am 50 years old and fully realize that natural aging beings aches and pains and I sure don't want to be a hypochondriac- but nevertheless, sometimes I'd prefer a full body scan every month just for piece of mind! : )  Thanks Rachael
Oh no Rachel--I don't want to make people paranoid since its rare but at the same token its good to know. It all depends on where the tumor is in your brain. Mine was in the occipital area so it had to do with eyes. About 2 years before I was diagnosed I had a opthalmalic (sp?) migraine. I was working and I saw glittery diamondish stuff in a large circle that got smaller for about 20 minutes and it gradually went away. My eye doctor told me it was strange that I didn't have the migraine with it. Then I had floaters. It was like raindrops appearing on the windshield as I was driving, reading or doing computer work. Then they disappeared and came back a year after I was diagnosed. Then I couldn't see right and thought it was time to get progressive lenses. Those didn't work. I went on vacation and became depressed then not able to read menus and confused. My primary got an appointment with a neurologist ASAP and he found it. He did tests with my eyes and I was missing my whole right peripheral side.

I do believe now that everyone that is diagnosed should have a full body scan but of course health insurance may not cover this.

I am 50 also. What is very strange is I don't have aches and pains and also I am on taxol. Do you have a sedentary job? I am moving around most of the day--I don't work.
Yes, a sedentary office job, but I have not worked for 8 months.  I must admit I have been a real couch potato for most of this leave with some spurts of exercise so these back aches may be just from beginning to move again as I am getting things ready to return to work (I hope so!).  My GP did an x-ray and sees signs of arthritis but I know an x-ray won't pick up a small tumor.  When I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer (a small lump limited to the right breast) in 2004, the doctor I saw then did a set of full body scans right away before any treatment in order to set a baseline.  My current oncs at MD Anderson don't say anything about this so I plan to ask now that I have my first recurrance.  How do I know the cancer is really isolated to the 2 cm tumor found in my abdomen unless they do this?  Thanks  Rachael
Worked with insurance comp. alot and usually anything ordered by a doctor will be covered. Espescialy sonmething that is used to dx a condition. Daughter is going to get one yearly or sooner if she feels like something is wrong. This is in the follow up from Mayo.
Thanks, Christa.  I will have you in my prayers; please keep us posted on your MRI results.  Good luck!  Rachael
If I could just jump in here and say that I, too was dx'd with brain mets last September.  My symptoms included positional headaches in the back of my head, balance problems, vertigo and sudden nausea and vomiting in the morning.  I insisted on an MRI which revealed 4 lesions in my cerebellum, one of them located in the brainstem.  I received tx at Mayo--gamma knife radiation followed by 15 sessions of whole brain radiation.  I have my follow up MRI on Wednesday.

I would suggest watching your symptoms closely.  I've learned early on that you must be your own advocate.  If I hadn't pushed for the MRI I probably wouldn't be here today.

Best wishes to you,
Christa, formerly known as newlifegal
Christa,

I'm praying that you get good results on your MRI tomorrow!

Best wishes to you,
Helen