Ovarian Cancer Community
TransVaginal Ultrasound shows an Ovarian Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My recent trans-vaginal ultrasound (done to help diagonos post-clotial spotting) shows a mass on my right ovary.  My doctor's recommended next step is an MRI. I have a couple of questions and hope you can clear some things up for me.  I am assuming the mass is not a cyst, since a fluid filled sac would show as a transparent object on the ultrasound -yes or no?  Will an MRI indicate if the mass is a fibroid or a more dangerous type of tumor?  I have not felt ill and, except for high blood sugar and cholestrol, both which I am on medication for, am quite healthy.  If I had cancer, wouldn't I feel sick or something??  Yes, I will ask my doctor these things too, but they haven't called me back.  You know, the nurse calls up and says "ovarian mass" and it just freaks you out. Thanks for your help.

Jenny
Jenny,
I am 28 years old. I found out that I had a malignant tumor in January of this year. The only reason that I found out was because it ruptured and I had to rush to the hospital in intense pain.
Other than that, I never really felt sick. I had some irregular periods, but nothing that would have made me think of cancer.
I wish you the best and hope that it is nothing.
Hello, I am 22 yrs old.  Back in 2001 I had a trans-vaginal ultra-sound done b/c I had extremely bad periods.  When the results from the ultra sound came back.  They informed me that I had 5 pretty small cysts on my ovaries and my uterus, not to worry its normal.  I just recently had another ultra sound done b/c the pain with my periods has increased tremendously, and also upon discovery in my medical records from the military that they had diagnosed me with endometriosis not at all informing me of this or what it was.  My main concern is that this last time when the doctor called me back to speak with me he told me that I had two cysts, one on both ovaries and he said that they both were about 6 inches and that they were not ordinary cysts that they had a culdesac in them (or they were not fluid filled) he told me that he did not know what they were but that they needed to come out ASAP!  I am concerned and do not have to much of a clue what they are or could be!  My mother, and Aunt both had to get a hystorectomy b/c of tumors on their Ovaries and Uterus.  i am scared I really want kids and I have lots of questions that he doesnt have time to answers before my surgery because of his schedule.   Help please!!!                  Thank You!