Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Treatment for Recurrent OC-mets
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Treatment for Recurrent OC-mets

Hi Dr. Goodman,

I have emailed previously about my mom who is fighting her battle with recurrent OC stage IIIC for the past year.  She was on Carbo/Taxol for 4 months, and after it became ineffective, she was switched to Gemzar, which worked again for another 4 months.  When she started having fluid retention in her legs in March the CT scan showed tumor growth.  She had radiation - which reduced the tumor to almost nothing (which was great because it was pressing on her Inferior Vena Cava).  My mom has been feeling great for the past 2+ months, which was why it was devastating when her last CT scan showed 7+ lesions on her liver ( ranging from between 8mm and 2.5cm size), and 4 nodules on her lungs.  A needle biopsy confirmed the liver lesions as poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma, the tissue of origin is most likely ovary, but they say it may also be breast.  Her oncologist is recommending doxil.  My mom (who lives in CO) is seeking a second opinion at Huntsman, and has been referred to yet another renowned GYN/ONC, whom she will see in 10 days.  I am VERY concerned that these respective second and third opinions are delaying treatment (they say they don't want to start her on the doxil until 6/24).  Here are my questions:
- Given the spread and aggressiveness of the mets, isn't it dangerous to delay chemo further??
- In your experience, is Doxil her best shot at reducing/slowing down the progression?
- is it a crap shoot as to whether or not women at this stage will respond to chemo?

I am now pretty worried and look for any guidance/perspective you may have..

Thank you,
Joanna (currently in NH, soon to be in CO)