Ovarian Cancer Community
Tumor on the ovary, very large, not spread in three years, v

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi everyone,
have been reading the forum for a while, without contributing, but my family is so scared about me that I can barely talk to them now. I have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts by an experienced gynecologist manning her own ultrasound - one she determined to be a dermoid and the other an endometrioma. I started having horrible pain attacks in the middle of my cycle, sometime before period, after which it felt that somebody had been punching my insides, so sore I was for a bit. My official OBGYN of 10 years did not worry and did not do any exploration or tests, even though the cysts grew quite a bit over the summer, and gave me birth control pills. In two months they have grown quite a bit more and at that point the CA-125 was found to be very high, and so panic ensued. I was sent to an oncologist who declared that I had stage III ovarian cancer, based on an ultrasound and the CA-125. Two operations were canceled due to no fault of my own and another one was scheduled in three months (it's Canada and we have extensive waiting lines). All the while I was feeling like a million bucks, except the slight discomfort of the masses. I was going to have a radical surgery, no laparoscopy. After much mulling and thinking, I canceled the surgery and started looking around for other options. This being Canada, unfortunately, I did not have much success. All doctors treated me sneeringly, like a delusional who would not face up to the truth. For almost three years I've led a very normal and active life. My period continued as usual, bowel habits too, so I started hoping to find alternative treatments. I found an naturopath, who did not faint at the sight of the lumps - if I laid down flat, they rose out of the tummy like two perfectly smooth, round mounds. By this time the larger one measured 20 cm. Then one night a very painful episode occurred. I distinctly felt something snap, the ensuing pain was endometriosis-like intense. Unlike previous times, after the pain and the soreness subsided, the belly did not go down completely. In three months, I looked pregnant. I went back to the oncologists, who drained the liquid (10 liters) and ordered an MRI. To my horror, they found what they see as malignancy in the fluid. The MRI meanwhile showed that the tumor was completely contained. Once again, I was diagnosed as stage III. I feel fine, except for tremendous anxiety. I am now on chemo, expecting to lose my hair within a week or two, otherwise feeling fine. They want the tumor to shrink before they operate. I am very scared but also totally puzzled. My body keeps telling me, like it did from the beginning, that nothing much is wrong with me. Did anybody ever find herself in this kind of situation?
Tags: years
1 Comment
That's somewhat similar to me in that I had one episode of intense pain but otherwise felt fine even though I looked like I was six months pregnant.  The chemo will hopefully curb the malignant cells in your abdominal fluid so that you won't keep swelling up.