Ovarian Cancer Community
Typical Dermoid???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Typical Dermoid???

I have an initial diagnosis of a 5 cm dermoid on my right ovary...and a 2 cm complex cyst on my left...What are the chances my left cyst is also a dermoid?  It seems coincidental to have two different types of cysts at the same time...I have never had anything wrong before....the CT revealed that my dermoid is soft tissue/fat...no hair or teeth or any typical dermoid things that I have read about were indicated....is there a very high chance that this is not a dermoid at all???  I am so afraid of OC :( going for my second opinion tomorrow.
Good for you for taking control and getting a 2nd opinion!!!!!!

Cysts are very common, most women have them. Usually after they reach about 5-6cms and don't resolve on their own, the doctors will remove them as they can twist and cause other problems.

Ovarian Cancer is a relatively rare disease, most cysts are benign.  

Let us know what the 2nd opinion has to say.

Pam
Thank you for your reply! My second opinion said surgery!  Soon!  The contents of this type of dermoid can cause all kinds of complications should it rupture...and possibly permanent damage, as it is sticky and will adhere to neighboring organs.  I will be having the "tumor" and right ovary along with the falopian tube removed in two weeks...However I have a complex cyst on my left also...it wasn't identified as a dermoid during CT so she plans on leaving it...it took a while for them to dertermine that the right was a dermoid...it "started out" as "just" a complex cyst...what are the chances that this is also a dermoid?  I dont want to leave it and find out in a few months that I have to go under the knife again :( Will she be able to tell what type of cyst it is  when she "gets in there?"  I just want to do this right the first time...thanks!