Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
US Pelvic Fluid

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

US Pelvic Fluid

I just had an US done on Monday, 26th and results showed my L ovary cyst (that comes and goes) was fluid filled normal. All other organs looked good.  The doctor said there was a bit more fluid than he'd like to see in the pelvic cavity (slight). Last year I was diagnosed with DCIS (early breast cancer), so I'm a bit concerned. The doctor said because of my history he is scheduling a CT scan and a gyn appt to be safe. He said normally he may let this amt go, but because of my history and conceren, he wants to follow it up. My concern is ovarian cancer.
A few months ago, I thought my cyst burst, took advil but was very painful in the abdomen and radiated down my thigh.  It subsided over into the next day.  How long can fluid last in the pelvis before it's absorbed and can menstrating soon (next day or two), so a week after the US affect the fluid build-up?  Thanks.
Hi There,

ovarian cysts come and go with ovulation.SO if you are ovulating and having monthly cycles, you are going to see cysts on the ovaries and fluid at the time of ovulation.

I would ask , rather, do you have risks for ovarian cancer? Have you had BRCA 1/2 gene testing? if not, you should. That may help guide you in deciding if you need to consider having your ovaries and fallopian tubes surgically removed
also if you have a family history of breast and ovarian cancer, you may be at higher risk for ovarian cancer and sold consider risk reducing surgery.

if you are on tamoxifen and are premenopausal, you will have more stimulation of your ovaries from the tamoxifen and have more (benign) ovarian cysts.
take care
Thanks...I realize how ovulation works.  I am pretty insync with my body. The fluid in the pelvic cavity was my concern, as it said on the US that it was more than the normal amt.  It was a "pocket" of fluid in the pelvis. I had read that free fluid could be a sign of cancer, not just ovarian (as there aren't many signs until it is too late).

I am premenopausal and my breast cancer was early (DCIS stage) and I am not on tamoxifen.  My gyno is going to repeat the ultrasound and see what it shows. He didn't think it sounded worrisome. He also recommended that I have my ovaries removed due to my family history of breast cancer.

The free fluid, is it a concern?  The ultrasound wasn't taken during ovulation, it was a week before my period.  Can you have feelings of tightness near the uterus after having a cyst burst and how long does the fluid take to go away?

Thanks again.

HI There
thank you for the additional information

a little bit of fluid is common. It sounds like your doctor is taking good care of you and is making appropriate recommendations.

best wishes to you!