Ovarian Cancer Community
Ultra tender ovary during pelvic exam???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I have been having slight pain in lower right abdomen so went to OBGYN.  During the pelvic exam, she was feeling the ovary suddenly a raw pain at ovary occurred.  She had been able to feel enough of the ovary to determine it was the right size with no masses.  I am to have an ultrasound next week.  Has anyone else had the experience of a totally raw pain during a pelvic exam?  She was able to feel some of it without causing any pain.  I'm not sure if she just dug too deep.  I had heard somewhere that the ovaries are similar to the testicles and can be as sensitive if touched incorrectly.  Just wondering how 'crazy' worried I should be about this???
That is what brought me to this site in 2005. Tender Ovary.
I think it was mickivicki that told me it could have been a cyst that had resolved. They can leave an open wound on the ovary that can make it painful to the touch. My U/S and TVUS came back with nothing. It was all normal.
I had that exact same thing happen to me 10 years ago. I almost hit the roof during a routine pelvic exam when she was poking around my ovary.

I had an ultrasound on which nothing appeared and that particular problem didn't occur again during my next exam.
Hi Trish and welcome!
     I am glad you are having the US as that is really the best method for ruling out cysts.  What Lin made me wonder is if adhesions, like she suffered, show up on a US?  Lin? The other question is really personal and I didn't even think to report it to my Dr. until she asked.  Do you suffer any pain during intercourse?  I did, the only pain I encountered, and not every time.  That's a symptom too. But in answer to your question, No! you should not be crazy worried!  When Tascha gets on in the early hours she will remind you that even if it turns out to be a cyst, 99% are benign, my two "aliens" were but troublesome none-the-less! MV
Last Feb. I too went in for an exam. I had been having lower left pain. When my doctor examined me, I almost hit the ceiling. I had an ultrsound which suggested to get a catscan. I went back to my doctor a week later and she again examined me. It still hurt. Next I got an mri and that too was negative. I knew something was wrong so I had a laporoscopy and they found that my left ovary was attached to the wall of my stomach. It was being pulled by adhesions. Once the doctor cut the adhesions I was fine. It was just a whirl wind finding out what was wrong. Ihope your ultrasound is ok. Maybe it's cysts. They can cause pain also. Good luck!
Thanks for responding!  I am feeling better about this.  I got so worried reading about women having ovarian cancer, and nothing being felt on a pelvic exam.  How can that happen???  When I look at pictures of ovarian cancer, it looks like it would be pretty easy for a gyn to feel during a pelvic exam.  My gyn said they got a pretty good feel, since I am thin so it wasn't too difficult to get down in there.