Ovarian Cancer Community
Uniformed Son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Uniformed Son

Hello,  the reason I'm here is because I need to find some answers.
  My mother was diagnost with Ovarian cancer. Now.. that is all that we are beeing told. She has had a complete hystorectamy and had 30 - 40 "Nodes" removed from her abdoman. Biopsy results are ovarian cancer.  She is recieving Chemo. They are also draining fluid from her stomach(dark brown almost black).
  I don't know if my parents know something and are keeping it from us or, they are not asking enough/wright questions.I am learning enough via the web but official sites just dont tell you the real thing.  The time line between surgery and chemo was 4 days!  the chemo is Taxol and Paraplatin. (Stole that info from bedside table.)  she is very bloated in the abdoman and just started bowel movements. (9 days from Surg)and still in hospital
  My questions would be. What stage?
                         What is the Fluid?
                         Why still so bloated?
                         What sould they be asking?
                         What is a "node"?

Any reply appriciated.    Goucho
1 Comment
First of all I am sorry to hear your mom is going through this.  When I was first diagnosed I requested all information regarding my treatment, including operating room reports, pathology reports, all test and lab results. I keep this information in a thick binder. When I was first diagnosed, I was so overwhelmed I really didn't know what to ask and when I did ask something, nine times out of ten I couldn't remember what was said. By getting all the paperwork, that allowed me time to read it at my leisure, then write down all the questions I had. I'd then hand my questions to my doctor. He was great about answering everything, even writing it down. Then the paper went into my binder for future reference. Your mom just had majory surgery and it will take some time for her to recover. Did she have a gyn/onc perform the surgery? If so, great. These are the experts when it comes to ovarian cancer. They know what to look for, where to look for it, and how to remove it. IMHO it's good that chemo was started right away. My first chemo came three weeks following my surgery. I could not be optimally debalked and by the time I had my first chemo, cancer had already spread to other areas. You might want to visit www.ovca.net as well. This is a great informative and supportive site for women suffering with ovarian cancer.