Ovarian Cancer Community
Vary very worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Vary very worried

Sorry this is long - I have been searching the net for an answer to my question (which in itself has not helped because I have made myself feel worse but am desperate) and found this site and am hoping somebody medical or other can help.  I am 36 with 2 young children, I went for a routine smear yesterday, with a doctor, and was told that I had a firm and swollen cervix.  I also bled on contact (which I aways do with smears) my last one was around 21 months ago.  She wants to refer me due to this and also because I mentioned slight pink discharge after intercourse a month ago.  After looking on net now I am convinced I have ovarian cancer let alone anything to do with my cervix.  I have bloating mainly after eating and when I am sitting down all day at work (since March 07 time), not at weekends.  I also have sporadic low back ache, which I have always blamed on rubbish stomach muscles.I also have occasional lower abdoman niggles but nothing that would ever take me to docs.  In the last year I have had a couple of incidences of pinkish discharge within the month and have normal periods that have seemed to get heavier and longer the last 6 months.  I also have had eosaphagitis the last week or so for which I'm taking acid reducers.  My history is that I had these symptoms about 21 months ago and had a pelvic and internal scan where an ovarian polyp was found and a smea test which was normal- then 3 months later another follow up scan and polyp had aparently gone.  The doctor did the ovarian cancer blood test and it was fine.  Could ovarian cancer have grown since then - I am really scared that I have ignored these symptoms for the last 21 months as the doctor reassured me last time and now that doc has said my cervix is firm and swollen I am very worried.  She did internal examination but never mentioned my ovaries.   Please help.
Get a Trans Vaginal ultra sound done, what you are describing sounds more like a cyst , pap smears cannot detect ovarian cancer,  a cyst can produce the same symptoms as OVCA but since OVCA is actually a rare disease, 98% of all cysts are benign,  one way to get the proper tests is to ask the doctor to rule out OVCA for you.  Early detection is very necessary,   Good Luck and come back and let us know how tou are.  We do care.  Marty
Sorry, you are having so many problems.  From the sound of your reporting, you have a swollen cervix which could be from an infection or cell changes within the cervix.  You had a scan, was it an transvaginal ultrasound that showed a polyp? not usual for ovaries, they tend to get cysts.  It does sound like that went away, which is common for your age.  The pink discharge is possibly do to irritation of the cervix, which is why your health care provider did the smear.  Was the blood work done recently?  At the present time, searching the web without enough data will only make your anxiety worse.  You need to do whatever you can to keep your like normal tomorrow, do something fun with your kids, and stay away from the web and checking symptoms.  On Monday, become proactive and call your Doctor and get some answers and possibly some additional tests.  You want to know the results of the PAP test and ask about the polyp on the ovary and if you should have a repeat transvaginal ultrasound.  We are not Doctors, we are women who have had ovarian cysts or ovarian cancer, you need to discuss your concerns with your DR.  They are the only person who can give you the entire picture.  There may be a tie in between the eosaphagitis and bloating and gas.  Be proactive in your health care see your health care provider and have them provide you with the answers.      Good luck,  keep us posted          Marie
Thanks for your response.  Had the ovarian cancer blood test 21 months ago also had full blood work done before xmas and all ok apart from slightly higher albumin??  I had both pelvic scan and transvaginal scans 21 months ago too.  have been told the smear will take 2 weeks whatever the results but have rung the gyn specialist that I saw for a private appt hopefully this week so I can at least see him and get examined again asap.  The eosaphagitis has almost gone after 3 days of the tablets which is good and no bloating this weekend.  Just crossing fingers I can see gyn this week as so worried. Many thanks again.