Ovarian Cancer Community
Waiting is Hard

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Waiting is Hard

I am a 48 yr old female who started menopause in Feb. 2006.  I recently had some post-menopausal bleeding so I went to my Gynecologist.   After having an untrasound, my doctor tells me that I have 5 fibroid tumors in my uterus and a cyst on my ovary.  He has scheduled me for a total hysterecomy soon.  My mother is 83 yrs old and has ovarian cancer (4th Stage).  My doctor told me that he will not know if the growths in my uterus are cancerous until he does the surgery. I thought that fibroids were benign.  Can you tell in an ultrasound if uterine growths are fibroids and are fibroids sometimes cancerous?
Malignant fibroids are very rare , approximately 1 case out of 1000 turns out to be malignant , I had 16 large fibroids myself and so did a bit of research on them . Rapid growth pattern after the menopause in a fibroid can be a suspicious sign , they are usually just closely monitored with tvus . Try not to worry too much (Iknow its hard ) .    
I hope all goes well for you , Best wishes Angie                        
I had the same: fibroids (lots!) and a cyst on my ovary.  I'm glad you'll be having a total hysterectomy.  If by some remote chance one of the fibroids is cancerous,  know that uterine cancer doesn't spread very fast.  The surgery will be such a blessing!  Best of luck.
Thank you so much for responding.  I feel better having read that they are rarely cancer.  My doctor didn't tell me how big the fibroids or the cyst are.  It's amazing how I completely went blank in the doctor's office and didn't ask any important questions.  I just kept thinking how my mother went for a year of tests before they finally found out she had stage 4 ovarian cancer.  I will try to stop worrying.  I have always benn a cat that landed on her feet.  Thank you.
Thank you for your thoughts.  I just recently found this website and I wish I had known it was there a long time ago.  I have been in the dark as to how to help my mom  I have learned so much more by seeing the advise of people who have personal knowledge of these types of medical problems.  Once again, thank you.