Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Water In the Uterus

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Water In the Uterus

Hello, I'm a 38 y/o black female, with a personal history of PCOS, Cervical swelling and Dysplasia, and PID. As a teen my cervix swelled so much, that I was hospitalized for about a week and the doctor wanted to freeze the cervix to stop the swelling. I also have a family history of fibroids and uterine cancer.

I recently had a transvaginal ultrasound done and the technician noted that I had water in my uterus and asked if I had recently drank a lot of water. I hadn't had a drink of anything for over 8 hours before the test. Is this something that I should be worried about? What would cause a build up of fluid in the cervix?

Thanks!
Hi Michelle,
I assume that fluid was seen inside the center of your uterus. It sounds like you have been through alot! You have had a precancerous change on your cervix. Have you had treatment for that? You have had pelvic inflammatory disease.

PID can cause scarring around the fallopian tubes and blockage of the tubes. This can lead to swelling inside the fallopian tubes. The term for this is "hydrosalpingx". People can suffer from infertility and chronic pain from this.

The treatment of cervical dysplasia usually involves some kind of destructive treatment such as freezing, laser, or excision. The consequence of any of these therapies can be a narrowing or closure of the cervical canal. That is called "cervical stenosis".

When cervical stenosis is severe, it is not possible to pass the lining tissue from inside the uterus (the menses or period blood). So this fluid builds up inside the uterus.

You should ask your doctor how significant this fluid in the uterus is. If you have alot of fluid, you should consider a minor surgical procedure called a "D&C" (dilation and curettage). This procedure will open the scarred canal and evacuate the blood.
I meant to ask what would cause a build up of fluid in the uterus?

A related discussion, Water in the uterus was started.
A related discussion, water in the uterus was started.
A related discussion, fluid build up in her cervix canal was started.
A related discussion, extra mucus like water was started.