Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
What Next?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

What Next?

I had surgery in July 2007; a partial hysterectomy.  At that time my during surgery my Ovaries were examined and were found to be spotless.  In Oct. 2007 an internal Ultrasound found a ~ 6cm tumor on one ovary, other ovary was saturated with small tumors through-out.  I had surgery Nov. 2007 for Ovarian Cancer.  It was caught early (still in a Pre-Cancer stage) and no further treatments were necessary.  I go in for a follow up in May where they will do tests/biopsies to be sure the cancer cells are not in other tissues.

Since my surgery (was done abdominally) I have resumed an exercise program and have lost inches everywhere but not in my waist area.  I am on a hormone patch.  This is concerning to me because I have never had a "tummy" before (or a waistline over 30" ~ it has resided at 34" since surgery)...  any ideas, should I be concerned?  I also seem to fluctuate alot mood wise and fatigue, I find myself very fatigued in the afternoons (I'm only 42) ~ thoughts?.  Also, what will follow-up look like?  What can I expect?  I am very anxious as you can imagine.  
Tags: ovarian
Hi There,
it sounds like you have had  great care. I am so glad that everything has worked out.
Many women experience what you are experiencing which is a redistribution of the body fat after a hysterectomy. I have not seen anything written on this but in my own practice this does seem to happen for women who go on estrogen replacement therapy. It maybe true-true- unrelated. I am just  raising the question of whether ERT might play a role in this redistribution.

It could also be related to your family genes, aging, change in metabolism.

You could try cutting the dose on your estrogen to see if over a few month period you are able to change your waistline
best wishes
Thank you for your post.  

Is there any alternative that you recommend that has worked for your patients beside HRT?? I am 42 years old so this is all early for me to be dealing with ~ but obviously with the situation the surgery needed to take place or I might not be here writing you.....  

I see that your practice is out of Boston, Ma.  I grew up just outside of Worcester, Ma.  all of my family still resides in New England.  I am in Colorado.