Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
What does non-benign mean?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

What does non-benign mean?

I recently had my first mammogram, and a lump was found (ok - I knew about it a while ago but wasn't smart enough to do anything). I had a follow-up mammogram and ultrasound, and my doctor told me today that the radiologist said there is a non-benign mass. I've been scheduled for a vacuum-assisted core biopsy in three days. My doctor told me not to worry - 95% of the time these come back as nothing.

What does "non-benign" really mean? In my english classes, I would have sworn it would mean something on the order of malignant or at least bad.
Hi There,
I think non-benign is a made up word. You should ask your doctor to explain what he/she meant.
If you were told that there is a 95% chance that this is benign, then your mass is probably benign. However, it is crucial to have a biopsy to be sure that the mass is not a cancer.
I know this is scary. I hope all goes well with your biopsy.
take care
I posted this in the wrong section - how do I move it?
Please erase this - I posted it in the correct forum
That's all he told me. I called back yesterday and asked to get the BIRADS rating and I think I made a mistake in doing that. I really didn't want to know it was a 4c. I'm going with the idea that radiologists err on the side of caution and that it doesn't mean anything until I get Biopsy results.

Thanks for your answer!
Hi There,
BIRADS is a system developed for mammograms. It is not conventionally used in discussing pelvic ultrasounds. here is a good website with information.
take care

http://www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/quality_safety/BIRADSAtlas/BIRADSFAQs.aspx