Ovarian Cancer Community
What is a physiological cyst?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What is a physiological cyst?

I recently had a follow-up ultrasound for an ovarian cyst.  My second one came back and said it likely represents a physiological cyst.  Does this mean it's a simple or complex cyst?  I need to have another ultrasound.  I also have some free fluid in the cul de sac.  What does this mean?  Just a little confused by all this terminology.  Thanks!
Related Discussions
7 Comments
Blank
Physiological cyst  is another term for function cyst, the normal cysts that come and go as part of the regular menstrual cycle.
Blank
Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping that was what it meant.  What does it mean when they say there is free fluid in the cul-de-sac?
Blank
It is common, in other words 'normal', to have some fluid in the cul de sac.   If I recall correctly, then up to 10ml is normal.   The cul de sac is the lower area of the abdomen.  In cases of bleeding from a cyst, ruptured or not, there will be more fluid in this area.  (Sometimes this area is refered to as the "pouch of Douglas" in case you see that wording.)  A large amount of fluid can be another possible indication of cancer, but it is not a diagnosis of cancer as other conditions can cause it.
Blank
A related discussion, physiological cyst was started.
Blank
4346247_tn?1353160171
Blank
i was diagnosed with this kind of cyst the other day.. is this normal or should i be alarmed about it.. what are the often causes of it..?? im really scared
Blank
A related discussion, what is a physiologic cyst on the right ovary was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
8 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank