Ovarian Cancer Community
What is a physiological cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

What is a physiological cyst?

I recently had a follow-up ultrasound for an ovarian cyst.  My second one came back and said it likely represents a physiological cyst.  Does this mean it's a simple or complex cyst?  I need to have another ultrasound.  I also have some free fluid in the cul de sac.  What does this mean?  Just a little confused by all this terminology.  Thanks!
Physiological cyst  is another term for function cyst, the normal cysts that come and go as part of the regular menstrual cycle.
Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping that was what it meant.  What does it mean when they say there is free fluid in the cul-de-sac?
It is common, in other words 'normal', to have some fluid in the cul de sac.   If I recall correctly, then up to 10ml is normal.   The cul de sac is the lower area of the abdomen.  In cases of bleeding from a cyst, ruptured or not, there will be more fluid in this area.  (Sometimes this area is refered to as the "pouch of Douglas" in case you see that wording.)  A large amount of fluid can be another possible indication of cancer, but it is not a diagnosis of cancer as other conditions can cause it.
A related discussion, physiological cyst was started.
i was diagnosed with this kind of cyst the other day.. is this normal or should i be alarmed about it.. what are the often causes of it..?? im really scared
A related discussion, what is a physiologic cyst on the right ovary was started.