Ovarian Cancer Community
What is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

What is it?

I have a history of prolonged period since Oct 2005 (6 days period & 3 days spotting) on a 28 to 30 day cycle. I did my repeated papsmear in June this year & it was normal coz I had ASCUS reading in Dec 2005.  Doctor ordered D&C & hyperescopy but I was reluctant to go & I have cancelled it few times.  I did D&C 3 years ago due to bleeding in between but the result was normal (hormonal changes).  My last month's period was on 10.10.2006 & it lasted 6 days with 2 days spotting (8 days together).  Then 2 days later, when I wipe with tissue after pee, it has a very thin blood discharge only once & I didn't bother.  

This month, my period came earlier on the 25th day cycle.  It started with some spotting on 3.11.2006 & then 4.11.2006 only my exact period & it lasted for 6 days with 2 days spotting as well. Then on the 15.11.2006, when I wipe with tissue after pee, it has a very thin blood discharge with mucus only once & then on 17.11.2006 the discharge came with a patch of blood streaked with mucus vaginal discharge.  I thought its my ovulation.  I went to my gynae, he did an U/S scan & checked my cervix with spectrum to see whether any cervical polyps.  The U/S was normal & no cervical polyps but he found a folicle & he said its not my ovulation time yet & he said sometimes it happen with blood discharge, I didn't know what he meant.  I also have PCOS (not overweight).I still have to do D&C and hyperescopy maybe next week coz i'm not well now (with bad cough & sore throat).  Has anyone experience this?  Could it be the sign of ovulation? TQ & appreciate it.
Avatar n tn
I have had prolonged periods for years.  Mine last 9-12 days.  Heavy bleeding with flooding the first 2-4 days, then lighter, then spotting for a few days.  Sometimes I spot a few days before the heavy stuff as well.  My periods in the past 2 years range from 18 days to 60 days.  

I have ovarian cysts and fibroids in my uterus....in addition to this I am 43 years old and suspect that all of the changes in my ovaries, uterus and my periods are signs that I am in peri-menopause.  It may be a little earlier than most women but in my family my grandmother, mother and 2 sisters have all gone through menopause in their mid 30's and early 40's.  

It sounds like you are going through some hormone changes.  I don't know that much about pcos but maybe that has something to do with.  I'm not much help, just have experienced the same thing with my periods
Avatar n tn
Thanks so much for your reply. :)

I just hope that it is not cancer. Btw, I'm 35 years old with 2 kids age 12 and 3 plus. I have tried vitex supplement for regulating menstual and to balance hormone but it doesn't help much. :(