Ovarian Cancer Community
What is the aftermath of a single ovary removal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hello, I am new to this site and will be undergoing surgery this Friday and have my right ovary removed. I am 30 years old, married, a full time student, work, and have 2 children and am worried on the emotional after math of it all. Typically I'm not an overly emotional person but lately I feel like I've been very emotional about losing my ovary.

Three years ago I suffered a stroke. Due to my stroke I was told that birth control or extra estrogen could promote another stroke so I elected to have my fallopian tubes removed as to not have to worry about birth control. I didn't notice any significant change, just a couple of added lbs but that was it.

This however has had a significant impact on me and I'm trying to understand why. Am I being ridiculous or overly emotional? I have enlarged cysts on my right ovary and my ovary is flipped. The pain has gotten progressively worse to the point where it was debilitating. As I mentioned before my surgery is this Friday. My worry is if i'm feeling emotional about it now. How am I going to feel later. I've read many forums on this and the emotional impact scares me more than anything.

Do you have any suggestions or insights? Please help. Thank you in advanced.
Tags: ovary, Ovary Removal, cystic ovaries
If you still have your other ovary (sounds like you do) then physically you shouldn't notice much difference. The single ovary will take care of the hormonal side of things.

Emotionally, you have to ask yourself why losing one tiny bit in your body would upset you. It sounds like you've already settled the whole childbirth issues and have come to terms with that. And this isn't like losing a visible part like a breast. It might be hard to think it through but when you do, I'm sure you'll have greater peace of mind.

I've had things done inside my heart and my first time in, I was afraid. All those worries about "what if" made me nervous. And after the work they did, I swore I felt different. :-)  But in time I fell back into my old routines and was fine.

I don't think I'm being much help and I'm sorry. Sometimes the build up to a surgery is more stressful than the actual event. Mostly think about how wonderful it will be to be free of the pain.
Im happy for you that you are alive though im sorry about losing that part of you.. my mother died from ovarian cancer how did you do it?