Ovarian Cancer Community
What is the differenbe between CT Scan and ultrasound?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I was just wondering why most of the people here use CT Scan on a regular baseis not ultrasound?

My understing was CT Scan has radiation...but there is no such side effect with untrasound....So i guess there must be some advantage of CT Scan....am i missing something here?

rs

CT scans are more detailed than US , they are usually more helpful in measuring disease as the images are slices through organs. Yes there is radiation risk with CT scans but the benefit of tracking disease outweighs the fairly small radiation risk.

Angie
Thanks Angie.

I was dx borderline tumor last Nov. My dr never ordered any CT...I am not sure why...

I just read another post of yours about how you won your case...i am so happy for you...

My tumor was un-staged...and my gyne-oncologist told me not to worried about it...I guess it is easy to say...i have all kinds of crazy thoughts sometimes...and it drives me crazy....

I am thinking i need some sort of test just for the peace of mind....I wonder should i go for CT, PET or something else?

rs

Once we have cancer, most of us do not worry about radiation risks involved in some of the testing.  The results are far more important than any risk.
Teresa
I would definitely suggest that you call your doctor's office and make an appointment to ask these questions. At the very least, your mind could be put at rest. Good luck and let us know what happens.
. .... Jane
Hi, I agree with Jane, It would be best to call the Doctors office because worry is the worst!! ask the Gyn Onc for reassurance as to why your unstaged tumour doesn,t need a follow up CT scan, you need peace of mind because if like me you will keep on wondering and worrying . Thanks for the journal comment and good luck with everything , let us know how you get on .

Take care

Angie