Ovarian Cancer Community
What is the difference between Immature Teratoma, and Mixed Germ Cell T...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

What is the difference between Immature Teratoma, and Mixed Germ Cell Tumor

My 15 yr. old daughter was originally thought to have had a Mature Teratoma at surgery. With further investigation, it was diagnosed as an immature teratoma (Stage 1a, Grade 2).  In doing research, I'm a little confused about the differences between Mixed Germ Cell Tumor and an Immature Teratoma.  They sound the same..
Mixed Germ Cell Tumor... or Malignant Germ Cell Tumor.
Hi! I was diagnosed with Immature Teratoma Stage 3A grade 2 at age 26 in Oct. 2005. I'm not positively sure that I have really studied mixed germ cell tumors, but my guess is that it would be a mixture of different germ cell tumors. Immature Teratoma is a germ cell tumor, but there are other types of germ cell tumors. Germ cell tumor just means that it developed in the "egg" of the ovary, rather than on the surface of the ovary as tumors of ovarian epithelial cancer do. Germ cell tumors are also more prevalent than epithelial ovarian cancer in younger women. Usually patients with germ cell tumors have a better prognosis as well, especially if caught early. Please forgive me if you already know this information. I really don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you don't know it, it is helpful in understanding this disease. I know that it is really scary right now, but the staging at 1A sounds like it should give your daughter an excellent prognosis. I do hope that she is seeing a gyn oncologist because they are the best at dealing with any type of ovca. They have additional training and are used to dealing with this type of thing. I would also reccommend that you get at least a second opinion, especially on the pathology. I had 4 different pathology reports after my surgery, and not one was exactly the same. The pathology determines the grade of the tumor, which, along with the staging, often dictates treatment. Your daughter is very lucky that they were able to catch it so early. Usually this type of OVCA is not caught until stage 3 or higher.
I will be praying for your daughter and your whole family. Please keep us updated.
Blessings,
Glenda
Thank you for your post.
I've been doing as much research as I can... and sometimes the terms get thrown around in the same articles.

Immature Teratoma, Pure Immature Teratoma, Immature Teratoma with , Immature Teratoma - Yolk Sac, Microscopic Foci, , , Mixed Germ Cell Tumor...etc..

Have to run now, but thank you for the response.