Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
What kind of cyst is it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

What kind of cyst is it?

I went in for a sonogram after my OBGYN detected a cyst during my normal check up.  The repots basically reads that I have a "unilocular cyst on the right with internal echoes and two discrete mural nodularities measuing 5-8m".  She suggested removal of the cyst with laparoscopy and depending on the path results removal of the ovary. The reports continues to read... "primary concernts include endometrioma(more likely) versus neoplasm"

I have been researching this and understand their are four types of ovarian cysts.  What category is my cyst in?  I have a call into my Dr, but want to be educated so I can have the right follow up questions.

Hi There
a cyst means a collection of fluid with a skin around it. it is not a diagnosis but just a description.
Most cysts of the ovary are related to ovulation - that is the process of having an egg leave the ovary to go into the fallopian tube and then into the uterus. If you are of an age where you are still menstruating, that is the most likely type of ovarian cyst.
You should ask your doctor whether it makes sense to repeat a scan after a period.
best wishes
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker