Ovarian Cancer Community
What to expect from radiation therapy for pre sacral tumour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi friends, It is my time to ask a question again. As suspected my ovarian cancer has re-emerged again on my sacral ligament after 8 months. It was shown on CT to be a 3.5cm mass with a 3.5cm cystic component below this. So at times I feel as though I am sitting on a squashed plum. Fortunately this time, the rest of the CT was clear and my medical onocologist has referred me for radiotherapy. I am just wondering if any of you have had radiotherapy alone and what side effects locally you have had. I am planning to go to Europe on 20th June and wondering how sore my nether region is going to be. I am wondering if they can radiate from the back or side to avoid burning the small bowel. As usual I will be using my natural therapies to help. I have to practice what I preach.
Any tips on what I could ask for to help the situation. Sue.
I've had two lots of radiation at various times - each time for specific tumours that were causing pain.   Both times radiation was successful - the first time very rapidly (within three sessions of radiation there was a noticeable decrease in tumour size)  and the second time much more slowly with the reduction taking about six weeks after the radiation finished.  Each time I had ten sessions over a two week time frame, apparently medium dose.    The first time I had no side effects at all apart from being a little tired.  The second time I had a few days of mild nausea which was easily controlled, and after the treatment finished all the skin on my stomach peeled - it was painless but looked odd (I kept it well coated in emollient cream which probably helped stop any itching).  They can radiate from just about any angle I would think.
Thanks Kis. Hi, This all sounds quite reasonable. There was some comment from the radiologist about wanting to do a PET scan before commencing radiotherapy. My onocologist is not deeming this necessary. I am thinking we don't want to open a can of worms prior to travel as my aim is to travel safely without a bowel obstruction between July & August approx 7 weeks. I'm wondering if a pet scan will enable a more accurate radiation or laser treatment and if it advisable to do this. My veins are shot to pieces after approx 60 venepunctures in the last 2 years. The less needles the better. I'll deal with any other stuff if I need to when I get back to Aus. Any other advise is most welcome. Sue.