Ovarian Cancer Community
When should you see a GYN/onocologist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

When should you see a GYN/onocologist?

I had a ultra sound of my kidneys and abdomen for pain I have been having on my right side and back.  While doing the kidney and bladder scan they found a 7.5 cm complex cysts.  

I had just had my right fallopian tube removed in June of this year, due to fluid in my fallopian tube causing a hydrosalpinx  At that time my gyn said the ovaries looked clean and fine.

That means the cysts has grown since June.  The pain started in July, but I thought it was back pain.

I took the new ultra sound results to my gyn.  She was shocked.  She was very surprise that it had grown so quickly.  She said we will have to remove the ovary.  She said it can not be cancer because she was just in there and everything looked fine.

So, I have to have my gall bladder out and we are going to remove the cysts at that time.  Should I see a gyn/onocologist or should I just wait for the biopsy results?  What is the protocol?  And could cancer really grow that quickly?
Thanks for your help
Honestly the dr shouldn't be telling you it's not cancer until it's been tested by a pathologist.  It's probably less likely to be cancer.  I would see a gyn-onc and I would insist on one to either do your surgery or assist for your surgery.  I'd also ask for a frozen section biopsy t o take place during surgery.  Do you know if any pathology was done when they removed your Fallopian tube?

Do what's right for you.

Take care.

Deb
I don't think the tested the fluid from the fallopian tube.  What is a frozen section biopsy and how is it different from a regular biopsy?
Drs don't know for certain until tests are done if something is cancer or not.  A frozen section biopsy is where a sample is sent during surgery for biopsy and they wait for the results while the person is still on the table.  This way if the results are cancerous they can do the full hysterectomy, and full staging surgery.  If the results come back benign you wouldn't necessarily need the hysterectomy only a cyst removal.  A full pathology is still completed on removed samples but usually takes several days or weeks to complete but the frozen section provides a quick answer for the drs.
You should ask your dr if any pathology was done on your last surgery.