Ovarian Cancer Community
Why do they want bowel prep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Why do they want bowel prep?

Why in the world do they want you to take go lytely before laporatomy? I have enuff problems with running to the toilet as it is with everything I eat and drink. Wont my health food chocolates accomplish the same thing? At least they taste good. And whats up with the name go lytely? Everyone I talk to that has taken it says they s**t their pants at least once. Also what if I choose not to take it? Thanks. Erika&name=Mishelle
If you don't take it they may cancel your lap.

If your cyst is anywhere near your bowel (and most are), or pressing on it, they want the bowel clean.  Sometimes cysts have a tendency to "stick" to things around them, so they may have to manipulate the bowel when removing the cyst.  Also in case you have any adhesions and they have to work around them.  

Bowel prep is such a pain I can't imagine they would require it if it weren't a prudent precaution.  That said, I recently did a bowel prep for a colonoscopy and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said it would be.  I never had to run to the bathroom.  I even left the house the day I was taking the stuff, with no trouble!  Maybe I'm just lucky. I didn't take anything called "go lytely", I had sodium phosphate stuff (ick).
BABY, DO  WHAT YOUR TOLD TO DO....THEY MAY REALLY CANCEL YOUR LAP...IF NOT...
GOOD LUCK SWEETIE...

GOD BLESS!!
I know it really sucks to do the bowel prep (I also had to do it for my laparotomy) but you really do need to have clear bowels for your surgery.  As stated above, ovaries/cysts have a tendency to adhear to the bowels, and they need to be cleaned out just in case.  Is it the gallon of stuff?  If so, mix it with sprite/7Up and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours befor you start to drink it.  Also, if you have a sucker to suck on it will help take away the nasty taste.  Keep you head up and let us know how it goes.  We are here to support you.  Kasie
The bowel prep is extremely important.  During abdominal surgeries, there is always a slight chance the bowel could be nicked or cut.  If the bowel is properly prepped, then the injury can be closed and no complications should result.  However, if the bowel is not prepped, then there could be contents within the bowel that could spill into the abdomen.  Such spillage could cause a major, even life-threatening complication, as the spillage could result in a serious infection.
I am having my bowel prep in the hospital. I go in the day before the laparotomy. I have always fancied a colonic but not under these circumstances.

Anna x
I'd have preferred the goLytely stuff... I had to do enemas (*shudder, ick*) That was an uncomfortable thing.
And who the heck gave it that name??? It sounds like you should be sitting on a verandah drinking tea, eating cucumber sandwiches and wearing white tennis clothes (and just happen to be sitting on a white porcelin potty)
I can picture the commercials now...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PMSL

Anna x
Yes, I think that stuff should be called goHeavily, not goLytely!