Ovarian Cancer Community
Your experience with Gemzar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Your experience with Gemzar

Can you share your experience using Gemzar?  How many treatments and did it work?  Any remission?  Is it an effective drug?

If gemzar is 3rd line treatment, what comes next?
Hello..We are all different in how we react to the various chemos, but my exprience with Gemzar (taken with Carboplatin) was not good... in fact it's been the worst for me out of all that I've had over the past 3 years. It's the only chemo that played havoc with my blood to the point where I needed infusions for platelets, which were extremely low... and red cells. It didn't work all that well for me, even though the CA.125 did drop slightly, I didn't get the great results that I've heard others have had. You could be one of those lucky ones, who doesn't have the blood problems, and get great results. I think with any of the chemos, it's more or less 'hit or miss' as we don't know how we will go with them, until we've tried them. I did well with Caelyx (Doxil) but some others haven't done so good, so it all depends.
Just want to wish you well with the Gemzar, and hope that it will get the results for you, that you want.
Best wishes..Helmar..
ok but Gemzar will be given alone.

First line treatment worked but there was immediate recurrence.
ThenDoxil which slowed it down a bit but not enough.
Now onto Gemzar.

But Im afraid...if this one doesnt work, or if it doesnt work for too long, do the doctors have other drugs they could try?
My wife had Gemzar as 3td line, after taxotare, that did not work, some go onto Doxil as 2nd line, my wife has that 'in hand' if required. Vi had good results, CA dropped from 700+ to 34, but due to a spot in the brain being found came off to have gamma knife, followed by full head radiation. After we toook the decission to have a good break, even though her CA was creaping back up, had a6 month break enjoying life to the full, feeling great, had good family holidays, and came back knowing that she would need more chemo, but now ready for it. Her CA toped 4500, and went onto topotegan, her CA has dropped to 2500, to 1366, 836 to now 536, so it looks as if this is working. Every person reacts differenly to the variuos chemos, so 2nd line for my wife could be 3rd for yours. Also her OnC is only giving single agent chemo, so that if reaquired a combo dose can be given if required, also due to the time now have the option to go back onto Taxol/Carb as well as weekly variartions. Good wishes to your mum, its a hard ride, we can only be there to support when needed. Steve
I have been treated with every single Chemo even mentioned in this thread (& then some) and none of them worked! Chemo is an artform and you have to trust your doctor to make the best decision for you. Good Luck
Alan,

A friend of mine was also given Femara and another drug similar to femara that kept her numbers stable for about a year.  She has also been on topotecan (sp?)...and her doctors have told her not to be discouraged as there are other treatments still out there to try.

Love to you and your mom!!!

Pam
Maeg...none of them worked for you?  How long ago were you diagnosed and what is the next step for you?

I cannot believe in 2006 after all these years - especially since Gilda had this disease - that there is not a cure or at least some good treatment to help all these women suffering from this disease.

I cant even begin to explain how much my heart is breaking to watch my mom go through this.  I cant even begin to imagine what women go through with this illness.
Hi Alan,

I was on Gemzar for a recurrence for about 18 months and had great results. The only side effects I really had was extreme fatigue and occasional nausea. I finished treatment 7 months ago and have been doing well. I have my CA125 tested each month and it is either 5 or 7.

I'll keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.
I was recently switched to hormone therapy... Megace... I had my 1st check up and it appears to be working for the time being :)
Concerned, Oops, I forgot to tell you I was diagnosed @ age 20, just over 3 years ago.
Hi Helmar,

Since your exprience with Gemzar taken with Carboplatin was not good, even though the CA.125 did drop slightly, I would like to know what was the schedule you were in with this combination.

Extremely low platelets is the most common side effect with the Carbo + Gemzar combination because each of the drugs alone has this side effect but at a much lower extent.

I know, I've been there... but no transfusion needed. Mainly because I'm only taking this combination once every 3 weeks (none of the drugs are taken alone) which allow my platelets to have time to recover. So far, that's been the case.
Hello...My experience with Gemzar/Carbo was 'short reigned' because it knocked my blood around something awful. I only had it for 2 months... Gemzar each week for 3 and on the 4th week carboplatin...in total 6 Gemzar and 2 Carbo. My Oncol. wouldn't continue, although the CA.125 did drop a little, but I couldn't continue because of the extremely low platelets and red cells, needing infusions for both. I've heard that this combination has worked well for some, but like most chemos... it's 'trial and error' I guess... in most cases.
I hope you are doing well, and all is going good for you. ..Helmar...