Ovarian Cancer Community
Zyrtec for bone pain??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Zyrtec for bone pain??

My mom completed her first chemo (Taxol/Carbo) on Tuesday of this week. Her MD prescribed Zyrtec for her "bone pain". Has anyone heard of this? Even the pharmacist thought I was crazy! I would appreciate any responses.
Haven't heard of it ever being used for that...especially since it's for allergies!

OK, so did it really go to the bone?  If so one option is Metastron
Possible bone pain was not even mentioned to me let alone prescription for it.  Luckily do not have this problem. Try calling the dr and verify the information.
Alan, how is Mom doing? weight up? still using feeding tube? Think about her everytime I see your name.  Let her know that I am thinking of her. Also tks for all your participation, you are becoming an expert on OC.
Hi!  Thanks :)  We finally got the J-Tube out, it was bugging her so much and uncomfortable...all we used it for was medications and not the intented use of feeding!  That was about a month ago now I think.
Her weight is roughly the same, not up as much as I'd like but it seems to be hovering around the same point.

Right now we're on 'hold'.  They saw penumatosis (air filled cysts in the intestines) on the last ct scan and they wanted to put her in the hospital!  Mom was not cool with that nor her surgeon and oncologist who's been seeing her for the past 7+ months and this is the best she's ever been (all things considered).

So we're on a two week standdown to see if this resolves by the ct-scan this week.  If so we're on for chemo first thing in June, otherwise she's off the clinical trial (only had 2 more cycles to go) and onto something else!  So during this time she's taking Maitake D-Fraction (not enough but it's ok) and I think it'll be interesting to see the CA-125 levels as we have one before, this week, then monday.
Yes, Matt. My wife had an injection to improve her white blood cell count and the doctor told her to take Zyrtec if she experienced any pain.  She did develop pain about two days later and one Zyrtec took it away.  I've read that they speculate it has some anti-inflamitory action.  Whatever works.

Keith
A related discussion, Zertec for bone pain was started.