Ovarian Cancer Community
abdominal discomfort

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

abdominal discomfort

Went to the ob/gyn bc having pressure, fullness, and bloating on the right side from belly button over
and sometimes have a sore spot just below the belly button slightly to the right.  About two months ago, experienced extreme pain on the right during period.  When doing the pap smear, a cervical polyp came out. The pathology said benign inflamed cervical polyp florid microglandular hyperplaisa.
The doc wanted to do ECC but I reconsidered when the nurse said the pap smear was normal--I say the pap report and it said it could not even be done, unsatisfactory specimen which was because my period had started about an hour before the office visit.  I am having a lot of pressure on my right side at the waist and sometimes just under my rib cage in front and back. I am unsure as to what to do next.  Should I go to another physician?  Does this sound like cancer?  All responses would be appreciated.  I have been so worried I can't sleep well and it is just down right uncomfortable.

Also, she used a speculum that was too large.  I told it how bad it hurt and she removed it for a smaller one but I am still achy in that spot.  Is that normal?  I was already experiencing soreness/achiness when I smashed on my stomach on the right side and feel the doc gave me more problems.
1 Comment
I think it would be a good idea to go for another check.  Your cervical polyp is atypical and that change can turn into cervical cancer.  A second opinion would be a good idea.  Ovarian cancer does not have any symptoms in the cervix or anything that will show on a pap smear unless it has spread from the ovary which is unlikely considering your symptoms.  Since you are experiencing pain, it would be a good idea to get a transvaginal ultrasound to see if you have a cyst on your ovary.   Most cysts are benign and could cause your symptoms.  I know it is not easy to not worry when you feel something is wrong in your body but the odds are with you that your situation is not cancer.  I was dx with stage 1a OVCA and my main symptoms were abdominal pain and urinary urgency and frequency.  My pap was normal.  Since you had the polyp, it would be a good idea to ask them to do a HPV test.  Good luck to you.  Trust your gut and follow-up with another dr.  I would think at the very least you should go more often for a watch of your cervix due to the polyp.