Ovarian Cancer Community
abdominal distention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

abdominal distention

My mother (87) was "diagnosed" with ovarian cancer based on a CA-125:  first test in July 2008 was 11 and in March 2009, it was 177 and in May 2009 it was 174.  They tried to needle biopsy a small ovarian cyst (less than 4 cm) but the result was non-diagnostic.

She has lost lots of weight because when she eats her abdomen swells.  No ascites on the CT scan and no turmors on the CT scan....just small cyst on ovary.

Bad heart so cannot get tissue for diagnosis.

A couple of docs say that she has some type of abdominal cancer and they fell that ovarian is most likely.
Can anyone help?  Her symptoms began as bloating attacks which resolved in a week....however in the summer of 2008 she got worse such that the bloating became distension and now she can only drink clear liquids....even jello makes her abdomen swell.  The swelling begins below the navel and procedes into the upper abdomen such that her back is arched and head is thrown back.

Can your abdomen swell like this and a person still have good bowel movements (albeit she does take a laxative)....

(gall bladder test showed gallstones but good ejection factor of 88%).

I do not know what to say as I can hear your worry in your writing. God Bless your mom 87 yrs old wow. I am sorry she is suffering. As for the abdominal swelling? It must be very difficult not knowing how you can help your mom. I suffer with abdominal swelling due to adhesions, and blockage since my diagnosis of OVCA. It is very hard to deal with. The doctors are probably at a loss due to your mothers age, and heart issues. In truth there is not much they can do for it, but recommend laxitives, softeners, and liquid diets. I wish you the best of luck, and commend you for being an advocate for your mom. She is truly blessed to have you there for her. Keep us posted, and try not to despair, even tho I know you are struggling with wanting to have your mom "comfortable".
Sorry I am not able to be of more help to you.
butterflytc
You said, " I suffer with abdominal swelling due to adhesions, and blockage since my diagnosis of OVCA"

what to you do about it?  liquid diets?

are you in a lot of pain?  

my mother basically just drinks "enlive" -- it is a fruit drink with lots of calories!

God bless.
I have had to have surgery twice in the last year including a triple bypass of the abdoman 6 mos. ago to remove intestinal blockage. Unfortunately the past week the blockage is back again. At the moment I am getting back to partial liquid diet (pureed homemade soups) Ensure, and a shake I make with whey protein, wheat germ, flax, and flavored with ice chips and coffee. Yes there is pain and it is not fun, but I am doing the best I can for the moment, to be able to eat light meals one day, and two days liquids. I am also taking mirolax morning and night and prunes in the morning. Hope it helps
take care
butterflyTc
So sorry to hear that you too are facing these blockages....Sounds like you have a good attitude even in the midst of the difficulty.

In my mother's case, they said that the x-rays and CT scans did not show any blockage but I gues tests can be wrong.

Thanks for responding
Barb