abraxane vs taxol
As I have posted in the past, my Ca125 had risen to 3500 6 months ago, switched over to low dose taxol and the marker dropped to 13 within 3 months. been maintaining the taxol every other week, very very tolerable but my CA125 has systematically creeped up to 20 over the past 2 months. My doctor now is switching me over to Abraxane. I realize this is taxol but will it be more effective and will the side effects be greater, different or what. And why would Abraxane be more effective than taxol is now. Believe me I am thankful that my marker is still as low as it is. Once you are in the rarified air of 3500 being where I am now is pretty pretty good. I will be speaking to the doctor tommorrow to see what the dosage will be. never ever dull is it?
I just googles Abraxane, it is a gentler but better way of delivering taxol, can be given over 30 minutes instead of 3 hours because of the way they prepare it.  It has shown promise in trials on OC, used alot with breast.  Biggest problem is with the white count. It is never dull, you never know what is in the shadows with this disease.  Good luck
Difference:  $4000+ more than Taxol....no seriously.  The physician/researcher who 'developed' Taxol was losing his patent on it a few years ago so he, no big suprise, developed Abraxane.

About the only real difference would be less reaction side effects during infusion (allowing a higher dosage per infusion).  Now if your insurance is covering it and the coinsurance isn't a big problem for you (typically 20% for chemotherapy) then don't sweat it.

Here is what the NY Times said about the controversy (interesting reading):
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/business/yourmoney/01drug.html

Good luck on the new therapy!