Ovarian Cancer Community
abraxane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

abraxane

As posted before I am being treated for a recurrence. after gemzar not having any impact on my my Ca125 marker (it kept rising) we switched over to Taxol, every 10 days. the side effects of the taxol have been next to nothing as opposed to the gemzar which were aweful. I await the results of the latest blood test tommorrow. My doctor mentioned a potential switch to Abraxane, which from what I understand it is basically taxol. Anyone know what the differences are. The taxol has been so tolerable, If it helps lower my markers - why switch?
Abraxane is also Taxol but should have lesser side effects based on studies made. Abraxane may even be more effective than regular Taxol just like Doxil (liposomal Doxorubicin) is to regular Doxorubicin.

Adding Avastin (biologic and anti-angiogenetic) and Femara or Tamoxifen or Arimidex (hormonal drugs) may logically and/or statistically give you better response rate than a lone drug. For explanation, please see Archives on Hormonal Drugs under the Recurrence Forum.

I hope this helps.

Jatoo
I was on Taxol and it was such an easy chemo. It keep everything stable until my body became resistant to it after 4-1/2 months. My CA125 kept the same and then went up. I took that Gemzar after for 2 treatments only and it really wiped me out and messed up my platelets. I DID NOT LIKE Gemzar. I would take a walk and be out of breath I was so fatigued. So I declined it.

I have a friend that is keeping stable on the Abraxane. So it may be a good drug for you. Ask your doctor about his reasoning on switching from Taxol to Abraxane. Ask him if it is a study.

Best of luck.
Jatoo explained it well.  Here is something on breastcancer.org that may help on why it is better than taxol:

http://www.breastcancer.org/research_recurrence_022405.html
thanks so much for your comments and help. my doctor suggested the switch as the next potential way to go. I am at NYU medical center and my doctor is quite good. He feels that abraxane can be given in a higher dose and be more effective while still being tolerable. Gemzar was nasty and he said topetecan is worse. We are attempting to try the most tolerable treatments - for example being on doxil for 15 months after a 2 year remission from stage 4. Its just been such a long road I just want to feel as good as I can for as long as possible - I am truly blessed getting to 5 years aniversary when I was nearly written off in 2002  I would sign on right now if the taxol would just keep me feeling like I do. I wish you all well