Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
allergy to carboplatin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

allergy to carboplatin

I was having carboplatin two years after the first round of infusion. On the fourth infusion I went into cardiac arrest as a result of an allergic reaction. Now I will be trying topotecan. Do you have any other suggestions? I had few mild side effects from the carboplatin.
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There,
thank you for your question. topotecan is a great choice and has a good track record for the treatment of ovarian cancer.

other choices of chemo include but are not limited to:
gemzar
weekly low dose taxol
doxil

also if carboplatin is working, another choice is to use the carboplatin with a desensitization protocol for allergy.

This is usually done as an inpatient with consultation with an allergist.You should ask your oncologist if they have a protocol for this. I have pasted one article on this but there are many studies looking at desensitization .
best wishes

J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2011;21(2):108-12.
A new rapid desensitization protocol for chemotherapy agents.
Gastaminza G, de la Borbolla JM, Goikoetxea MJ, Escudero R, Antón J, Espinós J, Lacasa C, Fernández-Benítez M, Sanz ML, Ferrer M.
Source

Department of Allergology and Clinical Immunology, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain. ***@****
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Desensitization has been used for some decades to treat patients with the allergenic drug when an alternative drug with similar efficacy and safety is not available. We present the results from a series of oncology patients desensitized at our hospital during the last 2 years.
OBJECTIVE:

To assess the efficacy of a new desensitization protocol in patients allergic to chemotherapy drugs.
METHODS:

We performed an observational retrospective study of 11 women (6 breast cancer and 5 ovarian cancer) who underwent our desensitization protocol. Four patients had immediate reactions to carboplatin, 3 to docetaxel, 3 to paclitaxel, and 1 to both docetaxel and paclitaxel. Premedication was administered in all cases. A 5-step protocol based on 5 different dilutions of the drugs was used.
RESULTS:

We performed 39 desensitization procedures: 14 to carboplatin, 3 to oxaliplatin, 16 to docetaxel, and 6 to paclitaxel. Eight patients tolerated the full dose in 36 procedures. One patient suffered an anaphylactic reaction to carboplatin that reverted with treatment. One patient had dyspnea after a paclitaxel cycle. One patient experienced dyspnea due to chronic pulmonary thromboembolism related to her disease.
CONCLUSION:

Desensitization is a useful procedure in patients who are allergic to their chemotherapy agents.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker