Ovarian Cancer Community
almost 3wks post-scope surgery and still can't wear jeans

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hello! your active communication in this forum - both current and archives - has been a great support for me over the past few months while learning about my cyst and leading up to my laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy (R) in early April. But only now, almost 3wks post scope surgery, do I find myself desperately needing your advice and experiences!

I am lucky that my concern is so minor ... I am having a pants crisis as I still can't wear my jeans, leaving me w/ 3 pairs of pants that fit. My mid-belly is still big. I had 4 incisions (belly button and 3 lower ab) to remove a 12cm endometrioma. Actually, it was diagnosed as a complex hemorragic cyst, until the last ultrasound before my gynie appt where it was then identified as an endometrioma. I am also still awaiting the pathology reports, which by the length of time to hear I am assuming that all was normal. Atfer the surgery though the gynie said all looked well, they needed to make a 4th hole to remove the endometrioma, but I couldn't think of other questions to ask at that point.

I went back to work on Wednesday, before then I could live in yoga pants, and I don't want to buy larger pants just to get me through this stage ... any similar experiences? how long did it take for your belly to get back to regular pants state?

Also, how long did you wait before going back to exercise? I would love to get back to yoga and the gym, and want to start running.

Thank you!
Was told to wait 2 months by Onc/nurses and my aqua aerobics teacher.  But I walked around alot, trying to get everything moving a big more.  
Can you not fit in your pants because of swelling or the incisions? Might be a little early to wear jeans made from a thick fabric, could cause some irritation.
I had a TAH/BSO done on Feb 5 to remove a stage 1A complex cyst. All in all, everything went smoothly, and my recovery was better than I had anticipated.  But, I suffered from the infamous "swelly belly" for about 4 weeks or so. I'm one of those folks who likes to wear their jeans snug, and hates the thought of wearing elastic waist pants. I knew my belly would be swollen,  but I didn't realize how much until about 2 weeks after surgery when I tried to put on my jeans. I was surprised to find that I couldn't get them anywhere near closed, let alone zipped :-)  I gave up and went back to sweat pants & elastic waist jeans. Finally, after about the 4th-5th week, I tried again, and this time they went on with no problem.  Sooo, just be patient, you'll get the jeans on again soon :-)  I had vowed to have a big bonfire and roast all of my elastic waist pants once I didn't need them anymore,  but I hung onto them as I found they were good things to wear when working in my garden and doing yard work.   I too am grateful that my biggest issue after surgery was swelly belly.

Karen
Thanks for your response! I can't fit into my jeans due to swelling, or perhaps bloating. I am assuming it is swelling, since the cause of my prior bouts of extreme bloating is now gone :) In general, at this point I don't have pain and am basically back to normal and mobile but some doors are heavy to push. I am not comfortable stretching, and don't lift med to heavy things. Also, I get tired going up stairs (my class is on the third floor and the school does not have an elevator), but I get more "sprightly" each day. The jeans are too tight to sit or move comfortably in, and they put pressure on two of the incisions, one of which has a resulting small hematoma under it. At first the hematoma was soft and about egg sized, but now it is hard and small chocoate easter egg sized. This was my first surgery in my life, and am generally in good health - all this is new!
Hi there! Thanks for your answers - they are very reassuring. So, for the next few weeks ... I will just be patient, keep drinking lots of water, and indulge in walks with my dog. I love the idea of an exercise ball, sounds just right for waking up those muscles but w/ out the intensity of regular exercise. Hopefully, the swelling will go down well and my pelvic life will be back to normal and worry-free - how lucky I am!
I had a laporotemy and full hysterecomy due to three large cysts in early Dec. 2006.  It took approx. 4-5 weeks before I could wear my jeans and at 6 weeks the the jeans were too big!  I've also read that it takes a good 2 months before swelling truly goes down.  When you think about all they had to cut through; muscle, tissue, etc.  it does take time to heal.

I was allowed to exercie:  sit ups, weights, etc. after 4 months due to the amount of digging around and cutting the onc/gyn did.  She wanted to make certain that I did not get a hernia from exercising too early.  I was also told to sit on a pilates or yoga ball while watching t.v. to help strengthen the abdominal muscles in a gentle way.  You're forced to balance while sitting on the ball and it's kind of fun.

I am sooo glad to hear you are doing well!

Lisa
I don't want to bum you out but I had a huge hemorrhagic cyst and an ovary removed laparoscopically last year and I was in yoga pants for nearly three months.  :-(   They looked okay with a long blazer though.    (Old Navy has some I really liked)

Ice packs really helped reduce the swelling and pain - FYI
I had a TAH 2.5 weeks ago, and wore jeans for the first time today.  Not comfortably I might add.  I had to dig around to find some that weren't low-waisted, since it really didn't feel well with all the swelling.  Stupidly, I also wore some wedge heeled boots - not a good idea.  I was MISERABLE and in a little pain - which I haven't been for a good week or so.  I got on here because I was concerned about the 'swelly belly' - thank you for all of your posts - you made me feel so much better!  I will just try and be patient but it's so hard!  I look down there and it's almost folded over!!!!!  Not that my stomach was so great before :).  I go to the Dr. at 4 weeks post-op and will hopefully find out when I can start exercising again.  Sitting on the exercise ball does sound like a great idea - I can't wait to try it.  I did have a little trouble right after my surgery - in the recovery room I woke up in EXCRUCIATING pain (I've had 2 c-sections so I had felt a little prepared), they removed my bandages (after all of the pain shots failed to help) and blood was literally SPURTING out of the incision!!!  I don't know how I didn't pass out!  I had to go back into surgery and all is well.  I left the hospital after 3 days (I stayed 2 for the c-sections) and was pretty sore, but by the 5th day, felt a LOT better.  Now, I just have to keep reminding myself to take it easy.  So, here's to flat tummies all around!  Good luck and speedy recoveries to you all!  BTW, the somewhat higher waisted jeans - make a HUGE difference.  Atleast for me anyway :).  I'll still stick with the yoga pants when I'm at home though :)