Ovarian Cancer Community
anyone have experience with ABRAXANE?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

anyone have experience with ABRAXANE?

Much thanks to MEDRESC and HELEN for the thoughtful and informative responses regarding my previous question. I am still wondering if anyone out there has heard of or experienced ABRAXANE as chemo, specifically for platinum resistant second line therapy. Its for my mom. She has had 99% of the tumor removed initally and was staged at 3c,lymph node positive. Serous cell grade three tumor. This was past Feb. She then had an excellent response to standard paclitaxel/carbo (ca125 originally 700 down to 10) until last Sept. when a remaining bit of tumor doubled in size.(1.1 cm) A laproscopy revealed very small metastis to the diaphragm, several specks about the size of pinheads. She is now on weekly ABRAXANE only.
   I am also wondering about the increase in size of the remaining bit of tumor. It is just behind and under her liver. I know that metastis to the inside of the liver is not good, so I am trying to take confidence that the doc feels Abraxane will stop or slow the growth enough to prevent this.  My question is if there is a potential for metastis to the liver why are they using a phase 3 experimental treatment as opposed to older and standard second line chemo for platinum resistant patients. (She was determined platinum resstant within the first 3 months concluding original 1st line chemo). Finally, I know it sounds strange, but when the Docs say she still has a good prognosis can we believe it? I would think a doctor has to be honest regarding prognosis, not just trying to offer false hope. Thanks!!
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
I no nothing about abraxane, however I do know diaphram mets.  I had mets to the diaphram in 2 areas behind the liver.  My Gyn/Onc put together a team, that included a general surgeon, to handle the liver, a thoracic surgeon to resect the diaphram and himself.  It apparently was a long operation, I was asleep, so I go by what my husband told me.  I was out of bed the next morning and walking by the 2 day.  It was a rough operation, however I have read a medical journal article about being aggressive in diaphram mets.  I then did 6 rounds of doxil and carboplatin and am clear.  I am 63 years old with a stage 3 C poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma.  Good luck to your Mom, hope this helps.
Blank
   Thank you for your interest, and I am so glad you are doing well! Do you mind if I ask how large the mets. were in your diaphragm before the surgery? Mom has "several pinhead sized specks." I am just reaching out to make sure we are on the right track with her as it sounds you are!
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
One was 2.1 by 3 cm and the second was 2x 1.3 cm, they had problems identifing if they were lung diaphram or liver.  I did have some of the liver scraped off.  In addition they found some areas on the colon and removed them.  So essenitally I was optimally debulked a second time.  The diaphram resections were bigger.  I am glad that I have an aggressive surgeon.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank