Ovarian Cancer Community
anyone have experience with ABRAXANE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

anyone have experience with ABRAXANE?

Much thanks to MEDRESC and HELEN for the thoughtful and informative responses regarding my previous question. I am still wondering if anyone out there has heard of or experienced ABRAXANE as chemo, specifically for platinum resistant second line therapy. Its for my mom. She has had 99% of the tumor removed initally and was staged at 3c,lymph node positive. Serous cell grade three tumor. This was past Feb. She then had an excellent response to standard paclitaxel/carbo (ca125 originally 700 down to 10) until last Sept. when a remaining bit of tumor doubled in size.(1.1 cm) A laproscopy revealed very small metastis to the diaphragm, several specks about the size of pinheads. She is now on weekly ABRAXANE only.
   I am also wondering about the increase in size of the remaining bit of tumor. It is just behind and under her liver. I know that metastis to the inside of the liver is not good, so I am trying to take confidence that the doc feels Abraxane will stop or slow the growth enough to prevent this.  My question is if there is a potential for metastis to the liver why are they using a phase 3 experimental treatment as opposed to older and standard second line chemo for platinum resistant patients. (She was determined platinum resstant within the first 3 months concluding original 1st line chemo). Finally, I know it sounds strange, but when the Docs say she still has a good prognosis can we believe it? I would think a doctor has to be honest regarding prognosis, not just trying to offer false hope. Thanks!!
I no nothing about abraxane, however I do know diaphram mets.  I had mets to the diaphram in 2 areas behind the liver.  My Gyn/Onc put together a team, that included a general surgeon, to handle the liver, a thoracic surgeon to resect the diaphram and himself.  It apparently was a long operation, I was asleep, so I go by what my husband told me.  I was out of bed the next morning and walking by the 2 day.  It was a rough operation, however I have read a medical journal article about being aggressive in diaphram mets.  I then did 6 rounds of doxil and carboplatin and am clear.  I am 63 years old with a stage 3 C poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma.  Good luck to your Mom, hope this helps.
   Thank you for your interest, and I am so glad you are doing well! Do you mind if I ask how large the mets. were in your diaphragm before the surgery? Mom has "several pinhead sized specks." I am just reaching out to make sure we are on the right track with her as it sounds you are!
One was 2.1 by 3 cm and the second was 2x 1.3 cm, they had problems identifing if they were lung diaphram or liver.  I did have some of the liver scraped off.  In addition they found some areas on the colon and removed them.  So essenitally I was optimally debulked a second time.  The diaphram resections were bigger.  I am glad that I have an aggressive surgeon.