Ovarian Cancer Community
ascites still!! After 6 cisplatin and 4 carbo taxol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Is this ever going to go away for my mom. Ascites since June of last year and it has never gone away with chemo. I thought it was sopposed to. Now what? Is there any chemo that anyone knows of that helped with ascites?
Usually the chemo helped my Mom with her ascites but didnt clear all of it. For some it can be a battling problem. They can certainly drain some of it after a certain amount is built up. She will have some releif after that. If it is bothersome, be sure to talk to the doctor about it. Is she vomitting? Is her abdomen extended? When was the last time she was seen? I would def talk to the doctor. Hope things get better! Hang in there!
Not vomiting, her abdomen is very distended. Her onc doesnt want to drain during chemo. Shes seen every 3 weeks for chemo. Is there some chemo that is good for it?
There isn't a certain chemo that's used to help get rid of ascites.  Ascites occurs because of the cancer, or possibly something else going on in her abdomen that is causing irritation that is resulting in ascites.  Is her liver affected by the cancer?  Does the chemo she's on seem to be working otherwise? Is her CA125 a good indicator for her?  If so, what was her last reading?