Ovarian Cancer Community
ascites

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ascites

What is the procedure for treating ascites?
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
I had ascites as the only symptom for my ovarian cancer - it is not always malignant I hasten to say!

Treatment was ultrasound scan during which a tube was inserted into the relevant cavity where the ascites was ( with the help of a pain killer administered locally)  This was attached to a bag for the fluid to drain into.
In my case I had chemotherapy before surgery to remove tumours - six treatments - to dry up the ascites - then four more after surgery.

You can carry the bag around and it was a relief to have the drain.

I had about five 'drains' - 8.5 litres. 11.5 litres, 7.00 litres, 4 litres and 2 litres
over four and a half months from July .06

At present I am about six weeks since last chemo waiting to see if the ascites comes back.

I am in the UK but I expect treatment is about the same anywhere.

You don't say why you want to know but as I said before the ascites is not necessarily malignant.

Best wishes,

Ruth